• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Members w/real world experience w/CM 24 Pulsare

mragu

Dropped a deposit yesterday on a 2008 closed deck 24 Pulsare. Has a low hour (225-250hr) 300XS. Going to run DDT on it tomorrow, do compression test and sea trial. Compressor was replaced on motor. I also have a 2005 300X with 40 original hours sitting in my garage. I am leaning toward selling the XS and keeping the X. Looking for opinions on that and estimated speed comparison. Presently has a 5" CMC manual setback and is coming with a new in box, Bobs Hydraulic 10". What is recommended setback on these. When I had my 21 Superboat redone, I hat an 8" notch cut into the bottom of boat. It was a successful modification for handling, drivability etc. My research with the 24 Pulsares show they like a lot of setback so hence I am considering the notch. Thoughts? Thanks, Mike

Dropped a deposit yesterday on a 2008 closed deck 24 Pulsare. Has a low hour (225-250hr) 300XS. Going to run DDT on it tomorrow, do compression test and sea trial. Compressor was replaced on motor. I also have a 2005 300X with 40 original hours sitting in my garage. I am leaning toward selling the XS and keeping the X. Looking for opinions on that and estimated speed comparison. Presently has a 5" CMC manual setback and is coming with a new in box, Bobs Hydraulic 10". What is recommended setback on these. When I had my 21 Superboat redone, I hat an 8" notch cut into the bottom of boat. It was a successful modification for handling, drivability etc. My research with the 24 Pulsares show they like a lot of setback so hence I am considering the notch. Thoughts? Thanks, Mike

Nice find, great looking boats. As far as the 300X vs XS, the X will be more powerful "stock" but the XS is way more fuel efficient. Lots of discussions on Scream and Fly about it
Definitively, Dave Bush racing has dyno results, and performance reports, so you don't have to take anyone's word on it:
http://www.davebushracing.com/mercury-optimax300x-update.html

Both are really good motors, I would stay with the XS for fuel efficiency, which is dramatically better at mid range (where you're going to spend most of your time).

As far as the notch, I doubt it would be worth it on this boat. Wildman can advise on setback, I think he has several posts about it already.

Good luck.

Nice find, great looking boats. As far as the 300X vs XS, the X will be more powerful "stock" but the XS is way more fuel efficient. Lots of discussions on Scream and Fly about it
Definitively, Dave Bush racing has dyno results, and performance reports, so you don't have to take anyone's word on it:
http://www.davebushracing.com/mercury-optimax300x-update.html

Both are really good motors, I would stay with the XS for fuel efficiency, which is dramatically better at mid range (where you're going to spend most of your time).

As far as the notch, I doubt it would be worth it on this boat. Wildman can advise on setback, I think he has several posts about it already.

Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts. Randy reached out to me to give me his thoughts/experience on setback etc. He is a wealth of knowledge with these hulls and the fact that he reached out to me with nothing to gain shows his love our our hobby. Still up in the air over what to do with the motors. GOing to pick up the boat this morning and will start running it and see what I have

Both my 24' Bowrider and Hayabusa's BRX are running Verado power so our setups would be quite different from running the lighter Optimax or 300X motor. Also, the Verado's have 5" of setback built into the design of the motor. That being said, I'm running an 8" Atlas jackplate (total of 13") with a Verado 300 Pro and Hayabusa is running a 6" Bob's jackplate (total of 12", he may have a bit more do to his transom modification). Hayabusa actually reduced his setback from roughly 20" to where he is now and dramatically improved the handling of his boat. At 20" he was getting a porpoise at high speeds. Speaking of speeds, I'm running 71-72MPH with a bone stock Bravo One 24 (non vented) prop and Hayabusa has seen 83 with a Blaster.

Back