• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Merc Chopper Props

Brian

Has anyone ever run a Merc chopper prop on a checkmate, I am wondering how the boat will react, if the prop will work, bow lift ext., any info on them would be cool, thanks.

Brian

Has anyone ever run a Merc chopper prop on a checkmate, I am wondering how the boat will react, if the prop will work, bow lift ext., any info on them would be cool, thanks.

Brian

I ran a chopper on mine, the boat was a cavatating pig out of the hole. Top speed was the same as my laser 2, did not seem to carry the bow as well. The one advantage is you can run some of them on the surface.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

Thanks for the info 175checkmate, i kinda thought that but needed some backing on it. Thanks again.

Brian
I've tried two choppers on mine, A 26P Spinelli and a 30P (no name?) They are miserable on hole shot but are faster than any other props I have had to try. They like to run high, real high. You should probably have a low water pick up to get full potential. Bow lift wasnt great, I had to run a lot of trim to get good top speed. The 26P is too small, the 30P was close but I needed more height which I didnt have.
In the end they were only maybe 2 MPH faster. The fact that they perform so poorly for everything else, I seldome run them.
I have run them on my buddies Rude 235HP, so if the new Rudes have the same shaft you should be able to try them. If we hook up this summer, I'll try to bring them.
F150GT

Thanks for the info F150GT, Hey did you get a chance to see if spinelli had any props or if they are still in business? Thanks again.

Brian

Brian,

when i bought my starflite there was also a chopper on it, very bad hole schot, no trim, but the best thing is the NEVER loose the grip on any hight, also keaps grip in very very scharp turns, you can do wat you want it never loose GRIP, but not a good alround prop.

Sake From HOLLAND

Bubba thanks for the input, how was the top speed with the prop? That is what i am most concerned with. I have another alround good prop that I will run most the time, I just want a all out speed prop.If you know of any good ones let me know!

Brian

MY STARFLIGHT CAME WITH A 26P QUICKSILVER EXHAUST OVER THE HUB CHOPPER. IM RUNNING A 220 YAMMI. IM NOT SURE AS TO WHO MADE THIS PROP, BUT IT WORKS GREAT FOR TOP END. IT WILL SLIP A LITTLE OUT OF THE HOLE,BUT ONCE THE BOAT SETTLES, IT REALLY PULLS. ALSO, BEING THAT IT IS OVER THE HUB, THE EXHAUST NOTE IS MEGA-LOUD ON SURFACE, A REAL HEAD TURNER.

Brian,
I ran a 28' Merc ET prop on my Pulsare/Merc 300PM. A Mercury ET prop is a large ear Mercury chopper prop where they slightly bend the trailing edges. This allows for better hole shots, great top end, and allows the prop to carry the bow better then a regular chopper prop. (Usually, choppers run best on very light hulls w/ the engine heights high.)
The downside is Merc ETs are expensive if you buy then from Mercury. But if you can find an old chopper prop, there are prop shops that can put an "ET" cut onto your prop. Check out screamandfly.com, there are usually a few imitation ETs listed for sale.
SCT

Back