• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercruiser 260 exhaust water

The Stone

Hey all,

I noticed something with my boat that I'm not sure is right or not. This has been happening since I bought it 2 summer's ago and it always bugged me but i couldn't find anyone with the same problem. My boat has through hull exhaust, and when i start it it takes a few seconds for water to come out of the pipes (normal). What i don't think is normal is the port side starts spraying water much later than the starboard side. And it never sprays as much water as the starboard side, even after fully warmed up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Pretty common actually. A lot ow wet exhaust setups prefer one side versus the other. However there are things you can do to make it less noticeable.

- Check for blockages in merc wet riser gasket joints. The openings can get plugged with sand or rust flakes obstructing flow.
- Back flush hose through transom assembly for any sand/impeller pieces lodged in there.
- Install water pump fresh impeller and housing. Flow could be decreasing enough on old one you have causing you to notice it.
- Check the aluminum water fitting on inner transom assembly where hose comes through from drive. This can corrode and pinch off the water inlet. Commonly known as "bravo-itis" but could happen on alpha as well.

Back