• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Motor to Jackplate Mounting Height

tpondal

When tilting up the 135 merc on my 89 Sportfire, the outer steering arm will hit the top of the Jackplate if the motor is tipped up to high. This has been a problem as the kids don't always remember to pay attention and that steering piston gets bent. I raised the motor mounting up recently, enough so those steering arms won't hit any longer. Now the motor seems to be mounted awfully high on that jack plate. The horzontal portion of the motor mount, which you'd expect to be down on the transom (or jackplate in my case), is about 2.5 inches about the top of the jackplate. I wanted to get some opinions on this mounting position to make sure I won't run into trouble when I put her in the water.

Thanks in advance

Allen

When tilting up the 135 merc on my 89 Sportfire, the outer steering arm will hit the top of the Jackplate if the motor is tipped up to high. This has been a problem as the kids don't always remember to pay attention and that steering piston gets bent. I raised the motor mounting up recently, enough so those steering arms won't hit any longer. Now the motor seems to be mounted awfully high on that jack plate. The horzontal portion of the motor mount, which you'd expect to be down on the transom (or jackplate in my case), is about 2.5 inches about the top of the jackplate. I wanted to get some opinions on this mounting position to make sure I won't run into trouble when I put her in the water.

Thanks in advance

Allen

TPONDLE, BOB'S MACHINE SHOP MAKES 2" SPACERS THAT MOUNT BETWEEN THE MOTOR AND THE JACK PLATE. THE KIT COMES WITH THE MOUNTING BOLTS. NOT ONLY WILL IT HELP WITH YOU CLEARANCE ON THE STEERING, IT WILL ALSO GIVE YOU ANOTHER 2" OF SET BACK FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE.

Sounds like a good solution. How does moving my motor back effect the holeshot? Also, are these for sale on the net? Have a url?

Back