• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

My Checkmate predictor with tower of power 115 setup questions and gps number inside.

Check1382

I have a Checkmate predictor with a 115 merc yesterday was the first time out the boat has tabs no jack plate 13/21 Michigan wheel xhs prop and motor mounted at the lowest hole. Everything went well and ran great Rpms where between 54-5600 depending how I had it trimmed with a gps of 55-57mph. The boat had a good amount of lift for the way it’s setup but starts walking at wot when trimmed. Question I have is it worth putting a jackplate and trying different props If there’s anymore speed to be had and to get her more stable at high speed. The motor hit hard n gets right up on plane.

I have a Checkmate predictor with a 115 merc yesterday was the first time out the boat has tabs no jack plate 13/21 Michigan wheel xhs prop and motor mounted at the lowest hole. Everything went well and ran great Rpms where between 54-5600 depending how I had it trimmed with a gps of 55-57mph. The boat had a good amount of lift for the way it’s setup but starts walking at wot when trimmed. Question I have is it worth putting a jackplate and trying different props If there’s anymore speed to be had and to get her more stable at high speed. The motor hit hard n gets right up on plane.

Set back of the motor off the transom always helps these hulls with speed and reduced or more controlled chine-walk. The Predictor hull being 16ft probably needs a little less than the longer hulls. The other place where speed is found in these hulls when tuning is raising the motor so the centreline of the propshaft is even with the bottom of the hull or up to 1-2 inches higher than the bottom if the motor is fairly far back off the transom.
A jackplate will do both, I think you want 10-12 inches of setback to maximize speed and if you get a motorized jackplate you set the motor on it so that at the top of it’s travel the prop centerline is just above the bottom of the boat, that way you drop the motor for holeshot and raise it as you speed up.

To save money a manual jackplate can be use, you just set it high for speed runs and sacrifice some hole shot, or set it in the middle for cruising or near the bottom for pulling skiers and tubes.

Depending on where the motor is set presently, you are likely to gain 6-10 mph. After adding setback and raising the motor you may find your prop is too small for maximum speed in the present set up, and gain some more speed with a prop change. You have to decide if that is worth the effort and money.

There are guys with 90mph Predictors, but they have ~200 hp and everything else right.

One quick question do you mount the jackplate right over the factory plate? Also do you feel it needs as much setback as ten? I was thinking 6

One quick question do you mount the jackplate right over the factory plate? Also do you feel it needs as much setback as ten? I was thinking 6

Not sure what you are calling a factory plate, you need ten posts here and a hosting site to post a picture, but it would help to see what you are talking about. Maybe you have a metal plate spreading the load of the motor over a large area of the transom, hopefully the transom is solid as they often have issues when old that do not mix well with higher speeds.
Anyway if this is what you are talking about then it should be able to be left in place and the jackplate/setback bracket can be added.

6" of set back will help with speed and likely raise the speed at which chinewalk starts by a few MPH, if you are trying to keep the boat good at watersports you may want to stop there. But maximum speed out of the hull will likely need more than 6". your call.

Not sure what you are calling a factory plate, you need ten posts here and a hosting site to post a picture, but it would help to see what you are talking about. Maybe you have a metal plate spreading the load of the motor over a large area of the transom, hopefully the transom is solid as they often have issues when old that do not mix well with higher speeds.
Anyway if this is what you are talking about then it should be able to be left in place and the jackplate/setback bracket can be added
6" of set back will help with speed and likely raise the speed at which chinewalk starts by a few MPH, if you are trying to keep the boat good at watersports you may want to stop there. But maximum speed out of the hull will likely need more than 6". your call.

Yes the plate I speak of is the factory plate on the transom the motors bolted to. I’m going to grab a jackplate and start there. I’m thinking of getting a laser2 prop maybe 23p what would you suggest? Thanks

Try the jackplate with the prop you have first.

If you do a search here on this forum, you should find the set ups of other Predictors to get an idea of where you want to be with setback, and prop.

Back