• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

MY NEW CM PROJECT-

SCT

A few weeks ago I picked up my next Checkmate project (my 6th CM). An early 70s 15' Checkmate racing tunnel. The boat has been sitting for yrs at a marina in southern GA but is in pretty good shape for its age. I talked to Mike Combs at the factory and he said the boat was specifically w/ OMC as a project for a early 70s racing class (SE). I'll post more pixs as a I get into the project.

SCT

AlexBrowne030.jpg

Hay SCT

that boat looks like a floating space heater. What size engine goes on it.

Big Red N.C.

Thanks Chris- I was trying to downsize the pixs.
Shannon. I just used the ones you loaded up into the gallery. If you go in there, the gallery actually gives you the code and url in a box below the full size pics. Just click the copy to clipboard button and then paste the code into your post as is, hit submit and you're ready to go. :)

Thanks for sharing your pics. That looks like a really neat project. :)

That's cool...since I saw the one on ebay a while back, I've wished someone would get one and restore it. Glad you managed to find it. Can't wait to see it finished. That thing needs a crazy inline on it and there are some serious inline freaks in SC so you could probably find a good one nearby. I might have to come up your way when you finish it, you're not far away.

Good Luck!!

Very nice. Its needs one of those racing in-line 6's that has the exhaust pipes coming out the side of the cowl.

Nice find. What are your plans? or are you playing it by ear?

If you ever want to sell it please let me know. I would love to have a piece of checkmate racing history.
I wonder how fast it was.

Shannon told me that he going to put the Stinger on it that is now on his little blue boat that is on Utube. and also for sale without engine. Any guesses on speed of the new project?

Very cool Shannon! You've pretty much had all the best boat projects now that you scored the Tunnel!

I've finally started the restore job on my 15' CM tunnel. The boat is in amazing shape for sitting in a marina in GA for the last 30+ yrs. I'll have to replace some cross stringers and a few wood braces but nothing major. Believe it or not the transom is solid. I'm going to have it repainted the origional orange/ blk/white colors and CM racing paint scheme. I'll also replace all of the hardware, wire steering, and gauges. My restored OMC Stinger will be the motor.

The former owner gave me a copy of a 73' Johnson brochure that had this boat in the brochure. I'll scan it and post it sometime.

Attachments

• MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 32
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 34
De-rigged w/ the cowling off. I believe the boat is a copy of a Scotti tunnel.

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
"Larry Parham" must have raced "Cold Duck" at one time. The boat had MI registration stickers on it at one time. It would be cool to find the guy and show him his boat 30+ yrs later.

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
This is where a few cross members and braces will have to be replaced. I'll then sand and repaint it back to black gel. Inside the sponsoms were very clean w/ zero rot.

Attachments

• MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 41
The origional racing seat and skin. I'm going to have an upholstry shop make me another one. But it is pretty cool to see the origional.

Attachments

• MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
Back