• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Need Help! tilt trim motor on Mercury 135 BlackMax

DavidNC50

Hi Everyone!

Sooooo... I take my checkmate out after storing for winter and the tilt trim seems to be frozen or seized. Engine was left on transom saver over winter not completely up or down. (if that matters??) I do seem to remember it leaking down when parked last summer. (Motor fell very slowly over a few hrs when off) I have checked the solenoids and (they both click) both light a test light when pressing button is appropriate direction. I then decided to test the motor (3-wire) by putting power directly to the wiring. Blue +, Green +, and Black -. In these tests all I get is a spark when connecting wires like a dead short. The motor does not run in either direction.

Wickedrister (forum name) if your out there... this is your old boat! I know there is no one that knows it better than you. I would love to talk with you if you have a chance.

I am hoping some of you guys can help shed some light where I have no experience.

BlackMax 135 V6 88 model SN begins with 0B. 3 piston, 3-wire hydraulic system.

Definitely a bad motor?

Can I release hydraulic pressure without letting air into the system?

Is there a way to free up the motor without replacing?

I really wanted to take apart and see if I can get the electric motor running while not connected to the hydraulics.

I have Clymer service manual and it states that if electric test and bleeding system do not repair take to a shop and gives no further instruction.

If somebody could describe the removal/replacement procedure that might help.

Should I even try a repair like this or is it beyond the scope of home repair?

I believe this is the motor replacement on ebay. Seemed to be a match for the 3-wire rectangular Eaton I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Trim-M..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item41552223ba&vxp=mtr

July2006076.jpg

I have a slightly used ARCO 6250 trim motor from a 80's Merc 150 V6 I'll sell (fixed t~n~t, then motor ate a piston later that year. I just checked this is actually a motor for a later 95- 2 wire tilt and trim system.)

I also have a complete working tilt and trim system from a 95 Mariner 175 V6 (3 ram, 2 wire.)

So I'm confused, is the trim stuck? or does the motor not run? If the motor ran when you put it away, and slowly, it probably has water in it, or the the thermo switch is stuck opem, give a call, it would be easier, 847 356 3245

Reactions: JW
@jumbofordman Thanks! I will keep in mind if I need to buy parts.

@Bill Gohr I have not released the hydraulic pressure yet to even be able to lift motor of of transom saver. I had to put boat back up because of rain. It worked great last year. I believe that I can release pressure with small screw on right side of pump. This will allow me to move the motor manually correct? I am not sure if this might free up the electric motor.

My next step is to see if the hydraulic will move. I'm not sure if the cylinders can seize? or if just the electric motor is stuck.

Thanks for the number! I will try to give a call. Its late here now so will have to try tomorrow.

Sounds stupid but I was able to get my trim motor to kick in on my yamaha with a whack on the motor, I used the handle of the screwdriver I was using to release the cylinder pressure, I held the switch and whacked it and the motor started running!

Based on my experiences with trim and jackplate motors (which are pretty much the same) I'd say most problems with the motor not working are the motor being corroded inside. Frequently a quick whack or taking apart the motor and freeing it up will make it work for awhile. My jackplate motor would be frozen up every spring, but taking it off the assembly and manually spinning the motor to break free the rust generally got it working for the season.

So if you apply 12V directly to the motor and don't hear anything, it's probably the motor. If you hear it spinning and hear fluid moving but nothing is happening, you have a leak (internal or external) in the hydraulic system.

there are really just 2 ways any motors work. the 2 wire motors switch the pos and neg to make the motor go in both directions. your 3 wire has and "extra" brush in it to make it run backwards. there is one thing you pointed out that caught my attention. you said you only get a flash of power if you hit the switch, and that shouldn't be. dirt or rust in the system will cause an open in the motor and keep it from running however your 12v signal would constantly light a test light on 2 of the 3 wires one for up one for down. just to check id look at the power supply for both the up and down relays clean the contacts for service if nothing elce. ive seen wires the had 12 volts but no amperage could pass through and they will temporally light a test light in the same way. im not saying there on the wrong track but an extra few steps may save you a buck.
also the brushes in those motors will stick and not make contact on the com of the motor. you may be able to remove the brush holder clean it out and clean the com to return it to service. use steel wool or 400 wet/dry paper on the com and lube the bushings as well. take your time there not hard to repair. make sure the brushes move in and out of the holders too. the dust from normal wear collects in the holders and can cause issues too. good luck.

@jumbofordman Thanks! I will keep in mind if I need to buy parts.

@Bill Gohr I have not released the hydraulic pressure yet to even be able to lift motor of of transom saver. I had to put boat back up because of rain. It worked great last year. I believe that I can release pressure with small screw on right side of pump. This will allow me to move the motor manually correct? I am not sure if this might free up the electric motor.

My next step is to see if the hydraulic will move. I'm not sure if the cylinders can seize? or if just the electric motor is stuck.

Thanks for the number! I will try to give a call. Its late here now so will have to try tomorrow.

Call me. If it worked last year and you put it away and it quit, it has moisture in it. If you get a flashof power, the motor is stuck and the thermo switch is opening. Is this a to or three wire, did you jump it direct? If so the motor is bad. Never had much luck with the merc ones fixing them and reseling them, these generally leak

Thanks again everyone!

Today, I will be attempting to remove the electric tilt trim motor. After reading replies I believe this motor is probably corroded inside. This motor seems VERY difficult to get off because it is tucked into such a tight spot!

Are there any tricks to getting it off?

@Bill I will call you later today! Thanks a bunch! Not sure where your located so I will wait till a little later as I'm on the East coast.

Back