• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Mantex stringers in Checkmate Pulsare

JUPITER PULSARE

Here is a picture of the new dry storage compartment built in forward of the fuel tank. It drains into a pvc pipe that runs under the fuel tank to the transom.

Attachments

• Jun06148.JPG
    Jun06148.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Jun06151.JPG
    Jun06151.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 566
Here are the starboard and port views of the Mantex Stringers. Stringers are 1 1/2" thick....high tech stuff..never rot, you can't compress the stuff, it doesn't absorb water, and it's lighter than wood.

Attachments

• Jun06149.JPG
    Jun06149.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 294
  • Jun06150.JPG
    Jun06150.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 288
Here is a photo of one of the joints where the stringer meets the bulkhead. There is also a picture of the PVC pipe that runs from the storage, under the fuel tank to the transom.

Attachments

• Jun06154.JPG
    Jun06154.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Jun06152.JPG
    Jun06152.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 279
Here's a picture of the PVC pipe as it exits the rear bulkhead behind the gas tank to the transom.

Attachments

• Jun06153.JPG
    Jun06153.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 299
petersfield said:
with those stringer's do you have to fibreglass them in?
Yes, they are glass encapsulated for additional strength and torsional rigidity. The old wood stringers you could kick and they would just snap off. My new stringers can be moved at all!!

So whats your plans for access to the storage , i do like the idea of having the storage like that. Are there storage comaprtments on top of the pulsare like the ones on the starflites? With the storage on the bottom like that closer to the water the beer(beverages) will stay cooler a bit longer.

aaronmt said:
So whats your plans for access to the storage , i do like the idea of having the storage like that. Are there storage comaprtments on top of the pulsare like the ones on the starflites? With the storage on the bottom like that closer to the water the beer(beverages) will stay cooler a bit longer.
The Pulsares don't have the storage areas on to the sides of the motor well like the Starflites. That was a great idea and I think something Checkmate should do to the Pulsare 2100. There is a long storage locker under the v-birth. I plan to add a slide out door like a ski locker. I don't think a hinged door would work between the front seats. It's time to hit the internet to shop for the door. I've got 24" between the stringers to play with!!

You should make your own door! You can cut, glass, and gel-coat it and then cover it with matching carpet. It will hide nicely and you could make it as strong as you want. Most of the "marine suppliers", or even the original doors on most boats are poorly costructed.

Great job JP! But honestly, I don't know why Mate is still using wood in the floor system. It is just a matter of time before it gets compromised and rots.

They still use wood because it's still the best and strongest if it's built right it won't rot. And even all these new foams will absorb water if it's present long enough.

Blizz said:
They still use wood because it's still the best and strongest if it's built right it won't rot. And even all these new foams will absorb water if it's present long enough.
Blizz, I tend to dissagree with you. High density PVC coring materials will not absorb water at all and can never rot. Most Floors are still built out of Ply and if glassed correctly should last for years. Many of the custom builders have switched to composit stringers, transoms and bulkheads to save weight and avoid future water rot problems. The reason not all Boat builders use High Tech materials has a lot to do with cost. Checkmate builds a great boat at a great price. I don't think they're in the market to compete with the likes of Outerlimits, Nortech, Cigarette, Fountain, Skater, MTI, Dragon, etc otherwise they would be charging half a million bucks for a 35' Boat.

aqua said:
You should make your own door! You can cut, glass, and gel-coat it and then cover it with matching carpet. It will hide nicely and you could make it as strong as you want. Most of the "marine suppliers", or even the original doors on most boats are poorly costructed.
I'm probably going to build a custom ski-style locker door using 3/4" Starboard if I can find the aluminum Z molding to drop the door into.

Well we've been using some of these new hitech composites and foams on aircraft for years and so for have yet to see one the will not absorb over time. Water will penetrate just about anything overtime.

Jupiter, who sells the Mantex stringers? I'm at a loss with this type of stuff but I know the stringers in my 88 Starflite should be checked. I plan on checking the foam under the cuddy maybe this fall and take it from their. If someone sells stringers that will fit the Starflite, fiberglass ones, then I'm thinking it will make replacing the old ones a lot more easy? My boat has only two very small, about the size of a hair, stress cracks in the boat but I'll rather not let things get worse as I've noticed some twisting motion in the hull one or two times. Nothing serious but it gave me the impression that the stringers aren't what they should be.

INXS said:
Jupiter, who sells the Mantex stringers? I'm at a loss with this type of stuff but I know the stringers in my 88 Starflite should be checked. I plan on checking the foam under the cuddy maybe this fall and take it from their. If someone sells stringers that will fit the Starflite, fiberglass ones, then I'm thinking it will make replacing the old ones a lot more easy? My boat has only two very small, about the size of a hair, stress cracks in the boat but I'll rather not let things get worse as I've noticed some twisting motion in the hull one or two times. Nothing serious but it gave me the impression that the stringers aren't what they should be.
Hey INXS, there are no "ready made" stringers for the boat unless Checkmate has a template and they can pre cut them for you. Once the Floor and old stringers are removed, you have to custom make the new ones to fit the boat. Taking careful measurements before removing the old stringers is a must. The best thing is that the materials that can be used today far surpass much of what they were using in the 70's and 80's. It also give you the ability to take your time (instead of mass producing boats) and beef up anything you feel needs it. As far as buying Mantex....I worked for years at Active Thunder Boats and have a few connections........I'll get you the number!!

Floor is finally glassed in.

The new floor is finally glassed in. Just a bit of grinding left to do and we're going to glass/lap up the transom from the floor up the sides. The new storage bins are cut, glassed, and waiting to be glassed in place. There are 3 layers of glass on both sides of ply and you can see the shadows of the aluminum plates (countersunk into the floor) where the pedestals will be tapped into. Next step will be deciding on how to finish the floor....carpet, perrelli flooring, splatter gel, rhino liner????
We ran the ply completely over the tank leaving only a hole for the gas tank fill and a hatch cut out over the sending unit....you can see them in the picture looking toward the transom.

Attachments

• Jul17170.JPG
    Jul17170.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 199
  • Jul17171.JPG
    Jul17171.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Gelcoat painting the transom/bilge

The floor is complete!! Side storage compartments are glassed in. I purchased a 12" X 16" Teak storage locker door that will be installed between the seat pedestals for the new storage compartment. New black marine carpet will also be installed tomorrow. New red anodized guage bezels are on the way from Eddie Marine. The ressurection is almost done!!!!!!

Attachments

• Aug04185.JPG
    Aug04185.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Aug04186.JPG
    Aug04186.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 223
New Carpet is finished

Hey guys, here's a shot of the new black marine carpet. It looks stunning!! I've retained the original grey carpet along the verticle sides and installed the new marine black carpeting on the new floor, side storage compartments, and over the foot rest...it's now two-tone!!! IN the picture you will see the new ski locker door between the front seats..really cool!! (opening up the floor also allowed me to glass the underside of the new floor to the new stringers and bulkheads for additional structural integrity) I've also carpeted the new in floor locker. I remounted the front seat pedestals about 3" closer together than stock (to keep the weight more centered at high speeds!!) On sunday I'll be installing red anodized guage bezels on all the guages.

Attachments

• Aug17212.JPG
    Aug17212.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 158
Back