• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Plywood for Rear Bench

tpondal

I've read other's questions regarding seat rebuilding and think this might be something I can take on. The plywood in the back portion of the bench seat is begining to rot around the edges. Is there more to this than unstapling the cover, cutting new plywood, and restapling the cover and foam to the new? I wonder if there are some attachments to the plywood that aren't exposed to help form the seat cover. I usually dive into these things without thinking and then regreat it. Also, I have priced A/C plywood and Marine grade, quite a difference. Will a standard plywood be durable enough if I coat it with fiberglass resin or something similar?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have

I've read other's questions regarding seat rebuilding and think this might be something I can take on. The plywood in the back portion of the bench seat is begining to rot around the edges. Is there more to this than unstapling the cover, cutting new plywood, and restapling the cover and foam to the new? I wonder if there are some attachments to the plywood that aren't exposed to help form the seat cover. I usually dive into these things without thinking and then regreat it. Also, I have priced A/C plywood and Marine grade, quite a difference. Will a standard plywood be durable enough if I coat it with fiberglass resin or something similar?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have

If i am i right, marine grade plywood has less knots in it than conventional plywood - which makes it better for boat bottoms and sides -
won't make much differance for a seat. When i worked on checkys in the late 80's they were using some kind of pressure treated plywood. I think this is also standard practice for tige and their floors. I know the tige wood had a 50 year warranty on it. Remember, the reason you are replacing the wood is because it is rotten so make sure the wood you use will last as long as the boat - you really won't want to do this job again - it's tedious. Also make sure you use stainless steel staples - I've seen so many upholstry jobs ruined by using steel staples. If possible get your hands on an air stapler - they do a much better job of penetrating the wood than a standard stapler. And make sure you smooth out all the edges of the plywood so it doesn't tear the vinyl when you are installing it. Have Fun.

Chris E

Pull the staples out of the old wood, cut new part to match. Coat new part with resin and let dry. Reinstall the foam and cover. Use stainless steel staples to put it all back together.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Forums4.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

A follow up to my message above. A company in Georgia makes a staple remover tool. They are called Southern Crown Boatworks. They deal primarily in wood boat stuff but, they do have some general boat supplies that may be hard to get locally (depending on where you live). The web address is www.southerncrownboatworks.com. Look in the catalog section under upholstery - tacks and staples to see a picture of the tool - they call it a "staple knocker"

The staple remover tool part number is #630 and it is $16.50. Handy tool to have if you are doing much upholstery work.

Up here in Canada, typically, good one side fir plywood uses marine glue. If I was going to cut some new pieces, that is what I would use.
thumb.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forums4.jpg

Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

OK, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, there are some steel staples in parts of it now. These are so rusty I can pick them off with my finger nail. Others are stainless, though. Sounds pretty straight forward. I'm ready to rock. I'll take the advice on good glue and stainless staples. I should be able to rent an air stapler (maybe Home Depot). That'll be one sharp seat in the spring
thumb.gif

just to add. i rebuilt mine and used fir plywood. it`s supposed to contain marine glue. i used the resin and s.s.staples but one thing i did that i wouldn`t recommend is coated the bottom seat with glass. the staples wouldn`t go through some of the thicker stuff. all in all in looks great though and should last longer than the boat

175checkmate has the right idea for best way to do the seats, the resin will seal the wood up, so you will only have to do it once.

Back