• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

No power

Jim4553

Hey guys I'm new to the world of outboards I have a 200 horsepower Mercury V6 I think it's a 1987 I checked the battery the battery is good I check the connections to the starter I'm getting power to the starter but it's just dead it's not doing anything please help I have no manual for this motor..

Check all of the ground connections, many times this is the problem. I'm guessing we have a no start condition here? You turn the key to start and no crank? Did this starter used to work? What kind of electrical tester do you have handy? Oh yeah, what kind of Checkmate is the black motor hanging on the back of?

I checked the battery the battery is good I check the connections to the starter I'm getting power to the starter but it's just dead...
Did you 'load test' the battery or just check voltage across the terminals? Batteries are weird creatures that will sometimes short out internally when a load is placed upon them.

Did a little more digging, may have blown the ignition fuse. Need to find where it's at on a 87 starflite..I cant load test it because it's not doing anything..I just check from terminals..battery tester said battery was good.

Welcome to the site, by the way. Could be lots of stuff going on to thwart you. Could be neutral safety switch. Could be fuse. Could be a bad connection. Take jumper cables and correctly hook them directly to starter and see what happens. If starter turns, do Walter Huston Dance then proceed to check starter solenoid feed from ignition/start switch. Be careful, smoke is manufactured into the thermoplastic insulation that covers the wiring. Don't be the guy that lets it all out, unless you are a licensed electrician.

Did a little more digging, may have blown the ignition fuse. Need to find where it's at on a 87 starflite..I cant load test it because it's not doing anything..I just check from terminals..battery tester said battery was good.
Pull the battery out of the boat, take it to an auto parts store, and have them load test it.

Well there you go. Things are looking up already. Motor turns free by hand, find the starter issue and you're back in business.

Back