• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Power refresh on ‘89 eluder

fubardk

I have this ‘89 eluder and did a full restore on he boat last year. Considering a repower since it has an 89 merc 70hp. It’s my understanding the current weight is 265 lbs. would like to go to a 115 or 125 merc but weights are 340 plus. It already sits low in the water. Would you recommend this?

I contacted a local marina to discuss but curious about everyone’s thoughts here.

Thanks

hYdUPfR

I can tell you a 400 lb V6 Merc goes right on the back of an Eluder no problem at all (I had one), and they are rated for up to 185HP. I can't imaging driving an Eluder with 70HP.

I have this ‘89 eluder and did a full restore on he boat last year. Considering a repower since it has an 89 merc 70hp. It’s my understanding the current weight is 265 lbs. would like to go to a 115 or 125 merc but weights are 340 plus. It already sits low in the water. Would you recommend this?

I contacted a local marina to discuss but curious about everyone’s thoughts here.

Thanks

hYdUPfR

The Eluder is a 18'9" hull. Mine was an inboard with a 260 Hp 350ci Chevrolet OMC stern drive in it.(likely 600lbs) Yes they all have a low freeboard and water will wash over the back end if you chop the throttle to quickly. But in Outboard form many were sold with 175 - 235HP

I would be looking for at least 150HP if I were re-powering. Are you sure it's an Eluder?

OOps not eluder - Enticer

Sorry not sure what I was thinking, its an Enticer, rated up to 125. Any leads on a 115 or 125 would be appreciated too.

I have an Exciter 16.5' with a 135 Black Max.... Here is how it sits in the water.... also I want bigger! There are several guys here with 200+ and I've seen posts of 75mph and beyond. Currently with manual jack plate & 23 pitch prop I'm consistently around 65 mph. If I can/could drive through the chine walk I think a little more is there but I'll need more seat time and smooth water. I'll be following this thread.... I just got my boat back out after doing life for 3+ years. I have a need for sunshine and speed! Id sell my motor if a bigger one came around. I'd also upgrade to hydraulic steering when you swap the motor if it's not already.

580980_341460299266799_1970503702_n.jpg

Back