• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Prop For My Starflite

INXS

Found this ad for a tempest, is it a good prop for my boat and can it pull a skier out of the hole. If not will it help if I get it labbed? 23 Tempest Plus, rated 8/10, no dings, light sand scratches, straight, never reworked, ventilated, Flo-Torque hub kit included.
$250.00 to your door in US

INXS

INXS/88 Starflite/225 Johnson

Found this ad for a tempest, is it a good prop for my boat and can it pull a skier out of the hole. If not will it help if I get it labbed? 23 Tempest Plus, rated 8/10, no dings, light sand scratches, straight, never reworked, ventilated, Flo-Torque hub kit included.
$250.00 to your door in US

INXS

I ran a labbed 23" Tempest on my Pulsare with the 225 Promax, because I turned the motor to 6500 rpms. With your slower turning 225 Johnson, you'd be wanting to try a 25" Tempest Plus (if you get it re-hubbed to fit a Johnson).

Forums4.jpg

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

i saw your photo's from your starflite, man what a very very clean boat
thumb.gif
, but there is no powerlift, to get the engine up, so i think even the 23 would be to big for your engine, my old starflite with the first engine a 1992 200XRI 23 tempest PLUS, 6000rpm's WOT lift full up only me in the boat, than with the 1999 225 EFI and same prop 6250 rpm's, if you want more speed, the only way to get that is a powerlift, how less drag how faster you go
thumb.gif

Sake From HOLLAND

Thanks Again Sake,
I'm still up in the air on what I'll do this year as far as my motor goes. I agree that the lift and some set-back would be good, I just do not want to make the move until I'm sure of what motor I'll have on the boat. I could get it modified up to 280 HP but that would tie up the boat as the person that would do it, Al Stoker, ihas about a 4 month backlog on his work. I hear he's the best so if I went that route he's the one I'll have do it. getting a new 250 put on it would be great to!
INXS

I ran a Tempest 23 on my 01' Pulsare 225EFI with a manual powerlift. It was a great hole shot prop with good all around qualities with 65 to 68 range. had to play with lift height to find the sweet spot. I would recommend hydraulic lift. I also ran a Mirage 25 and got better top end, low 70's but sluggish out of the hole.

INXS I have been reading that the Ballistic prop from michigan wheel, runs about the same as the merc tempest, Like I said I have been reading this from other people who have run both, I haven't run a michiagn prop yet. They seem to have some good ideas with them, keep us posted on what you decide.

Brian

One thing for sure, there is no perfect prop for any boat. So try as many as possible!!

Forums4.jpg

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

Michigan wheel, I ran there 4 blade ballistic, great hole shot, but what an ill handling pig. The boat was uncontrolable, kept that prop a year before I could get back to michigan where I bought it. I traded that prop in on a rapture 25P. When I was at JW's we installed the prop on his 225. There was a problem with the prop hub being out of round. So back to the place where I bought it and traded it in on another rapture 25P. I have yet to run this prop. But setting them along side the 25p laser 2 I have they are very close in design.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

175checkmate what do you mean the boat was uncontrolable, to much bow lift, speed, what? One would think with the design idea that they have the thing would be a rocket, just curious about them.

Brian

The concept is good, the balistic was desinged to be sort of the best of both worlds. Sort of 1/2 cleaver, 1/2 chopper. The 4 blade I ran was a mess. Out of the hole was great. had to use alot of trim to carry the bow. Then at about 60 the boat would develope a wiggle. It would start in the stern and just get worse untill I was forced to lift. I thought it was chine walk at 1st but its different. I went through everything trying to get it right with the set up. No luck, then I went to a laser 2 and it was like a different boat.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

O I know what your talking about by that wiggle, when I cooked my merc and put the omc on I had a total different setup, and tried some props that did that, it almost seemed like the boat would fall off from side to side, different than chine walking.We all know how that can be. Thanks for the info on the ballistic.

Brian

I ordered a 25” three blade Ballistic prop. for my Strafilght. I’ll let you and the other Checkmate fans know how it works as soon as the weather warms up.

I'm also prop hunting setting up a starflite with a 3.4 300 merc 20" with a adjustable 8" to 12" jackplate.with such a big heavy monster on the back 560 lbs I figure on starting out at 8" setback and will try to find a 30-32" pitch lazer2 or big ear chopper the old 300 merc's don't last if you spin them much past 5500 rpm.I'v been told it should run between 78-88 mph ???

jon b

MAN I LOVE THESE PROP SAGAS. I'M IN THE SAME BOAT AS EVERYONE ELSE (KNOW PUN INTENDED) TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE BEST PROP WOULD BE. IF ONLY LAKE X WAS MY BACKYARD.....YOU COULD KNOCK YOURSELF SILLY TRYING TO FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT..
brickwall.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baddjonny:
I'm also prop hunting setting up a starflite with a 3.4 300 merc 20" with a adjustable 8" to 12" jackplate.with such a big heavy monster on the back 560 lbs I figure on starting out at 8" setback and will try to find a 30-32" pitch lazer2 or big ear chopper the old 300 merc's don't last if you spin them much past 5500 rpm.I'v been told it should run between 78-88 mph ???

jon b <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Check with Bubba (Sake) he's running with a 300 HP and a set-back!

Back