• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Prop hub replacement

jumbofordman

So I spun the hub in my old Mirage prop (no PVS.) When I pressed the old hub out, I noticed the square pattern the rubber hub was pressed into looked a lot like the Flo Torq hub pattern. So I happen to have a flo torq II hub insert laying around, I dropped it into the prop and it fit perfectly.

So the question is - do I need to bother having a new rubber hub pressed in, or can I just use the Flo-Torq hub?

Update

So I ordered a new Flo-Torq hub, and installed it a few weeks ago. Sadly we've had bad weather here every weekend (TS remnants passing by) since then. Today it warmed up to 80 degree this afternoons and I was free so I dropped the boat in the water.

Prop worked perfectly, and I gained about 3 mph, finally broke 50! Plus I stopped by my friend dock, he was outside loading up his boat (40' Pacemaker Aft Cabin) for a quick day trip with a old college buddy and his 2 kids visiting from Arizona. Since I swung by they he asked the kids if they wanted a speed boat ride first and the kids enthusiastically agreed. So I took them about 10 miles up and down the river, and then dropped them back a the dock for their regularly scheduled cruise.

While I don’t think I will ever be back in old style press in hub props, this is good info. Glad it worked out, nice to pick up some speed from the eliminated hub slippage too.

While I don’t think I will ever be back in old style press in hub props, this is good info. Glad it worked out, nice to pick up some speed from the eliminated hub slippage too.

It's the prop that came with my Formula F242SS. Apparently it was made when Mercury was transitioning to the Flo-Torq hubs but was still pressing in rubber ones. I tried a couple of other props I had laying around, but since they are for outboard Checkmates the pitch was too steep and the diameter too small for that fat Formula! I really need to get a 4 blade Revolution 4 for it.

Back