• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Proper Prop Question

92Enticer

Ok seems to be a vast wealth of knowledge here, time to tap into it.

I want to buy a new prop for my 92 Enticer. I currently run with the standard alum. prop, if any of you have been on Golden Lake, you'd know why. Its cheap to repair.

But id like to have a good SS prop for open water running, be able to take my boat out and really give it a good run. I have been fed many lines on how to choose the right prop, one marina offered to prop test my boat, free if i buy the prop from them same day, but its a long trailor haul just for a prop.

So, some info on boat.

92 Enticer, 16' 8" 1400lbs
92 Merc 115 O/B classic, 384lbs
The boat is a bow rider, if that makes a difference. It runs most with one person, somtimes with two. I dont mind swapping props for any reason, in a few feet of water its easy enough. The battery and fixed gas tank all in rear of boat.

Id like a max speed prop, for best performance.

Last question, any one here use the Carbon Fibre props from piranah? They have removable/replacable blades, and would be very handy. You see, on Golden Lake, EVEYBODY who owns a boat on the lake, gets their propellor repaired every 4 to 5 years. Needless, their are not alot of us who own SS props.

Ok seems to be a vast wealth of knowledge here, time to tap into it.

I want to buy a new prop for my 92 Enticer. I currently run with the standard alum. prop, if any of you have been on Golden Lake, you'd know why. Its cheap to repair.

But id like to have a good SS prop for open water running, be able to take my boat out and really give it a good run. I have been fed many lines on how to choose the right prop, one marina offered to prop test my boat, free if i buy the prop from them same day, but its a long trailor haul just for a prop.

So, some info on boat.

92 Enticer, 16' 8" 1400lbs
92 Merc 115 O/B classic, 384lbs
The boat is a bow rider, if that makes a difference. It runs most with one person, somtimes with two. I dont mind swapping props for any reason, in a few feet of water its easy enough. The battery and fixed gas tank all in rear of boat.

Id like a max speed prop, for best performance.

Last question, any one here use the Carbon Fibre props from piranah? They have removable/replacable blades, and would be very handy. You see, on Golden Lake, EVEYBODY who owns a boat on the lake, gets their propellor repaired every 4 to 5 years. Needless, their are not alot of us who own SS props.

What is the pitch of your current prop?
What RPM are you running.
A great SS prop for the smaller mates is the laser 2. Its a great prop, good hole shot and top end. Has a lot of bow lift so you don't have to trim as much. There are a bunch on ebay in the $100-150 range.

I would concour with Gus. For top speed, the consensus is that Laser II is the prop of choice. The pitch will vary from boat to boat. You just have find your maximum RPM and find the one that works best for your particular boat and setup.

No idea on current pitch of prop, its been rebuilt twice now, so its probably a bit messed up. The Motor is rated for 5200 max RPM and hitting that trimmed out isnt an issue, infact if im alone and not careful i can over rev the motor easily.

Id like to hit max speed at 5000rpm. I may just take it to the merc marina dealer who said they'd prop test it and sell em the prop, they of course suggested laser 2 as well. Just that this marina is the worst in the ottawa valley for repairs, was worried they feed me lines.

Thanks for the tips. Thanks to a Ford transmission issue with my escape, my prop money is now going for a repair. So maybe next year.

I would look for a laser 2 in the 22-23p range.
If the marina will let you try a few props or they have an exchange program that would be better.
The SS prop will flex alot less than the one you have on there, there by reducing your RPM.
A 23p may be just what you need to keep it at 5k

Back