• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pulling carpet out of an Exciter

merc85

Whats the best way to get it out. Looks like when the floor and transom were redone, it was glued in pretty well. Thinking about pulling it out and gelcoating the floor, so i don't have to worry about it holding water. Heat gun, or just box knife and rip it out?

A harbor freight oscillating multi tool with a scraper blade make easy work of it. Go slow and it will keep most of the glue on the carpet. Good luck with gell coating the floor.

A harbor freight oscillating multi tool with a scraper blade make easy work of it. Go slow and it will keep most of the glue on the carpet. Good luck with gell coating the floor.
Meaning its hard to get the gelcoat on the floor? I have never shot gelcoat, but i know people that have that could help me. Any tips

The carpet hides alot of sins.... Putting down the gell isn't bad. It's all the prep work that takes time. The gas tank cover is usually sealed with silicone on the older boats. So you have to figure out how to seal that so it doesn't leak and will accept the gell. So that probably means your going to have to lay some glass down over the floor if it hasn't been done already to seal the floor and keep the gel from cracking. Then smooth it all out, and lay some gell.

Not trying to deter you but I have been their done that. It came out beautiful. With that said it was a *****ton of work. And looking back on it I would do it differently. But I am super anal about the work I do. If you want to see pictures of what all I did there is a thread on offshore only.... Transom rebuild on a checkmate 281. But if that's what you want and plan on keeping the boat it will definitely be worth it!

Yea, the more i think about it the better the carpet looks! Got enough to do on it without taking on more. Maybe later, Thanks

Back