• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pulse170 Floor Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B

Staff member
Well guys I started the floor replacement today. I had done a quick repair earlier in the year to get me thru the summer until now. The first picture is were I had to do two quick repairs earlier this year. The second and third pictures is the floor underneath the passenger and driver seats.

Attachments

• 117_1722.JPG
    117_1722.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 117_1733.JPG
    117_1733.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 522
  • 117_1740.JPG
    117_1740.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 500
more pictures

Here are some more pictures. I still have to pull the gas tank and cut the remaining floor from the side.

Attachments

• 117_1744.JPG
    117_1744.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 117_1745.JPG
    117_1745.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 117_1746.JPG
    117_1746.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 337
A few more pictures

Attachments

• 117_1746.JPG
    117_1746.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 117_1747.JPG
    117_1747.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 117_1748.JPG
    117_1748.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 215
2974304_10_full.jpg

This is from my outboard but you can kinda tell. I cut about 1" over from the "V" in the floor. From there I used a screw driver or chissle to remove the rotten wood over to the old epoxy. I then used my grinder to clean it all up and cut the new wood so that it fit tight.

Here is a trick for you, run a tight string from the center of the rear to the center of the front. Use this to measure off of to each side and measure every running foot as you go up from the back of the boat towards the front of the boat. Mark it out on the wood but cut with the blade on the unside of the lines. This way you are ensured a good fit (with just a little fudge factor room) on the new wood as the boat does narrow as you get closer to the front.

(run the string through the drain hole and tie it to the trailer, use a piece of woot to raise the string even to where the floor will be. the front you can put a small screw into the floor (but not into the hull or through it!) and put a little resin back over the hole when done)

That's easy enough. I had thought about using my 4 1/2" grinder to score the fiberglass to get the last bit of floor from the side, but the chisel idea might be better. Thanks!!

thats how I did mine too yellowfiero, basically measured every six inches then connected those by snapping lines and eyeballed the curve, also cut the angle of the hull with the skil saw so I didnt have to use much filler to get a good fit- although I have a lot of experience with the saw so it was pretty easy for me - not to toot my own horn or anything (insert horn noise here)

TH2 I'm planning on cutting the floor the same angle as the hull to ensure a tight fit. I thought about using cardboard for a pattern, but the string idea is just as easy if not easier.

Jup, I've got your floor replacement bookmarked since we both got similar boats. Btw did you have those flotation boxes on each side and did you keep them?

Jup, I've got your floor replacement bookmarked since we both got similar boats. Btw did you have those flotation boxes on each side and did you keep them?

I removed the foam on each side of the fuel tank and forward of the tank. I did not reinstall the foam. I made an infloor ski-locker forward of the tank. 21' boats don't require foam flotation..

Hey CMPulse, didn't know you needed a floor. Looks good underneath though, good thing! What color carpet you going back in with? Black or Red?

Hey CMPulse, didn't know you needed a floor. Looks good underneath though, good thing! What color carpet you going back in with? Black or Red?

I had the same problem that Jup had with the seats. The screws holding the seats came loose during the summer, that's when I found the soft spot. I then pulled the carpet back and found another soft spot by the rear seat. So I done a quick patch job on both to get me thru the summer. I'm going back with red which is what I've got now.

I love my Checkmate, but I'm amazed at the workmanship on the stringers. I think my Checkie was built either on Friday or Monday. I made some more progress today. Here are some pictures of the stringers, there places that didn't have any glass on them at all.:(

Attachments

• 117_1752.JPG
    117_1752.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 117_1754.JPG
    117_1754.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 185
  • 117_1755.JPG
    117_1755.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 179
That's part of floor on the ground, I cut part of the floor next to the gas tank to see how bad that was. Fun ,Fun, Fun.

Attachments

• 117_1751.JPG
    117_1751.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 117_1761.JPG
    117_1761.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 117_1762.JPG
    117_1762.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 138
Sorry to see the stringers got wet/rotted! :irked: I guess that's what they call 'planned obsolescence'...............

Two questions:
Why in the heck would Checkmate put a 32 gallon gas tank in a 17' boat?
How do I get the gas tank out without cutting it out? I've got all the mounting hardware off, nothing behind the gas tank holding down. :eyecrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back