• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Reflashing a Verado

Sam I am

Okay...I know there is misinformation out there regarding reflashing the Verados, so let's see if we can set the record as straight as we can for everyone who might be considering this.

I am considering getting a boat with a 200 Pro Verado on the back. I've talked to a lot of folks and researched many, many boards about reflashing the 200 up to a 300 at Eric Simon's shop. To my knowledge, the 2 motors are identical bolt for bolt above the gear case, except the ECU. The gear cases only differ in ratio as the 300 is a 1.75:1 and the 200 is a 1.84:1.

Every once and in while a new factoid will pop up that I haven't encountered before so I'll do my best to verify if I can. So, with that in mind, the most recent one I encountered was that the pistons in the 200 are not the same as the 300. However, I don't think that's correct but I'm not certain either. I've looked up pistons for each motor and the part numbers are coming back identical. However, what I don't know is if the pistons corresponding to this part numbers are somehow different from OEM pistons.

200 Pro Piston Part Numbers: https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury...connecting-rods/assembly/16769/150?model=1427

300 Pro Piston Part Numbers: https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury...connecting-rods/assembly/16769/150?model=1429

Jupiter Pulsare raised another one with a windage tray for oil. I have to confess I don't know what that is. I'm hoping he can help me understand and have asked him to jump in here.

The other thing I'm not sure about is that there are differences in same model engines from older engines to new engines after a certain serial number, but I don't know what changed in the engine to cause them to differentiate at the designated serial number.

I'll ask John Lamon to jump in here too as he's a Mercury tech.

I can tell you that when I order a power head for and 200 to 300 pro verado it says right on it 200/250/300 Pro verado, other than that I'm not supposed to say much, lol.

They have been talking about sometime in the near future the possibility of sending the motors to us as blanks and we program them for whatever the customer buys, the 200/250/300 pro verado, the 75/90/115 and the 200/250 optimax. Easier for dealers to stock a variety that way, we just set it up and put the appropriate hp decals on and done, I'm not sure if it will actually happen, but there's been talk of it.

Last edited:
I would think that the cost to make either the 200, 250, or the 300 would be virtually the same in labor and parts. So that is probable that it could be simply a reprogram. Likely the 200 and 250 engines are de-tuned 300s. This also assumes that the engineers were able to design (size) the fuel / air, and exhaust systems to work for all three.

Chuck

Keep and install old ECU for warranty work.

Getting your hands on a reliable Mercury ECU is not an easy feat. They pop on eBay but I'm worried they're coming off submerged engines...not sure...I'd rather reflash mine and roll the dice on the warranty work. I don't think they check for an ECU reflash...but if they half to splash it to op-check anything I'm betting they'd notice! lol

From what I read in an article that was released right when the Verado 300 came out; the Verado 275 had cast pistons vs forged pistons in the 300. They also added a windage tray inside the motor to alleviate oil sloshing and friction which robs horsepower from the motor. The windage tray retains oil up where it needs to lubricate the motor rather than allowing it to drop into the pan and slosh around.. Also, the ECU is flashed differently to create a hotter fuel/air boost for more horsepower.

Thanks Jup. You may very well be correct on the 275 vs 300 motors from back then. But now, looking at their website and from everything else I can piece together, the 200 Pro, 250 Pro, and 300 Pro are all the same motor. In fact, Mercury no longer even makes a 275 in either Verado line (the two verado lines are Verado and the Verado Pro). So, as long as we're talking about the same line of Verados the motors are identical, but if we're talking about crossing over from one to another then it would be reasonable to conclude there has to be differences.

A windage tray also gets oil away from the spinning crankshaft. Under operating conditions, any oil sloshing about and contacting the spinning crankshaft will cause friction and aeration. A windage tray is one of the cheapest hp bolt ons one can find on the quest for HP (unless you have to make one from scratch because you are running a 50 some year old engine that the aftermarket parts folks haven't ever made one for). The higher the rpm, generally the more hp you would be able to liberate. One should never scoff at cheap hp. Now for some fun. Borrow the neighbors bicycle (especially one of those expensive mountain types). Build little sawhorses that hold back wheel of bicycle just off ground. Get one of those white lab coats like Doc Brown (wear his expressions and mannerisms and by all means, do this experiment in the driveway so that neighbors can watch). Peddle like mad and make notes on a clipboard. A stopwatch could come in handy. Now put a pan of clean water (especially if you are doing the peddling) under the rear wheel of bicycle so that wheel is submerged ( not a good word to use around boats), and peddle like mad again. Some rain gear might come in handy during this portion of the experiment. You will feel firsthand the power robbing effects caused by the liquid contacting the spinning wheel, not unlike a crankshaft contacting excess oil. This experiment will also keep grandchildren, who have been left in your care by parents or a grandma who should have known better or maybe had absolutely no other choice, busy for a while.

I totally agree on cheap horsepower. Thanks for the windage tray explanation, it's a good one.

Regarding the reflash, I believe it's well north of $1K, but if you take a 200 Pro to 300...that's pretty cheap HP.

I totally agree on cheap horsepower. Thanks for the windage tray explanation, it's a good one.

Regarding the reflash, I believe it's well north of $1K, but if you take a 200 Pro to 300...that's pretty cheap HP.

The thing with the reflash according to my Mercury rep is that there is a small chance you can fry the ECM, sometimes it just happens for whatever reason, it's $2600 my cost for a new ECM and I'm not ready to risk it yet, lol, if it was a performance boat it would be a different story, I will eventually get it done or buy one I'm sure.

Back