• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

RIP Bill Combs

SCT

I’ve heard several reports that cofounder, long time president and the driving force of Checkmate Boats, Bill Combs passed away on Friday at the age of 94. He was a leader in the fledgling performance marine industry starting in 1963 with the creation of Checkmate Boats in Bucyrus, Ohio. Along with boat building, Bill had many great wins on the race course in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Best wishes to his sons, Kip and Mike.

‘Cheers’ Bill!

RIP Bill Combs - you will always be remembered as a legend in the High Performance Boating World.

Sorry to here this, My condolences to his family. He built one Hell of a Cool Boat with amazing, finishes, graphics and interior Not many Boat Companies could stay in Business as long as Checkmate. Rip Bill. Thanks for founding and producing one of if not the Best and Coolest Boats ever Built.

Very sad. My thoughts are with Kip, Mike and the rest of the family.

What a legacy he left though. :thumb:

-Chris

Reactions: TMR
Glad to have met Bill and both sons during visits to the factory. And of course SCT when we finally met in person on a trip to Bucyrus.

Back