• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Set up ?

checki

Iam glad to be found this website.I have some
questions to my Enticer-set up and my new projectboat Starflite 89 in the next time.

Hubert from German w.f.g.
81 Enticer with 2001 Opti 150, 23pLaser2
gearcaseplate 2 inch above the bottom.

Iam glad to be found this website.I have some
questions to my Enticer-set up and my new projectboat Starflite 89 in the next time.

Hubert from German w.f.g.
81 Enticer with 2001 Opti 150, 23pLaser2
gearcaseplate 2 inch above the bottom.

Others with experience with this particular boat will probably chime in later; but from what I've seen for Predictors, the Enticer would probably use 6-8" of setback (I'd probably start with 6" since an Opti would be a little heavier than a standard 2cycle). Engine height would probably be the propshaft 2-3" below the hull (this would correspond to the cavitation plate approx. 6 inches above the bottom of the hull based on measurement of my 200 gearcase). An adjustable (preferrably hydraulic) jackplate would be best to get the setback and height adjustment. Dual cable or hydraulic steering adjusted to remove the slack.

ncst8er, great information. I would make sure you have water pressure gauge installed, don't want to burn up the motor.
What is your current set up, wide open throttle RPM, speed ect.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

You're right about the water pressure gauge. A height of 2-3 below the pad is unlikely to cause trouble, but with a hydraulic jackplate he could go higher than that without realizing it. You want to see a minimum of 10 psi at speed, 15 would be better.

My boat is an '83 Enchanter, 8" of setback, approx 2-3/4" below the pad. I haven't gotten what I consider a reliable speed number, but it still takes a good bit of trim to carry the bow with the 26p SS Michigan Wheel that came on the boat. I'm repairing some damage to the stringers and reinforcing the transom while I'm at it. Once it's back on the water, I want to add hydraulic steering and go to about 14" of setback with a jackplate (I can't add more setback with the current dual cable setup).

ncst8er I had a 14" setback w/a jackplate on my 84' enchanter, and the set back was to much. I couldn't get the bow lift that I liked, so I went back to a 6" set back w a jack. The motor I am running is very heavy though so that comes into play with the whole setup, just two cents for ya to think about.
icon_cool.gif

Hey all
My current Enticer setup is, cavitationplate 2 inch above the buttom, max 5900rpm with 23p laser 2
top speed near 65mph on gps (speedo 70').
I have shine walk over 60mph, but I am be able
to balance it with my dual cable steering.
The hole shot is very good with my autom. trim
tabs.
I have some questions about my next project
starflite.
I will add a cmc hyd powerlift with 5.5 inch
set back. What kind of speed can I go with my 150hp opti? Is it to small for a starflite?
The new 2004 opti 200hp has a low water pick up.It is very good for the cmc plate.
What do you thing is the difference to my 150hp opti on a starflite?

Hubert from Germany w.f.g.

I would say that a 150 on a starflite would be a little small. Should run ok, maybe mid 50's.
I went and looked to see what this hull is rated for, small print is to small to see. But the general rule of thought in my book is this. Get as much HP as you can afford. Then you will never say, "well what if I".
I would look into getting a 225hp Opti. JW had one on his pulsar. Great motor.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

Actually, I had the Promax 225. For that big of a hull, the Optimax 225 is probably better though as it's heavier and spins less rpm.

Forums4.jpg

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

A 200 WOULD BE THE THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM ON A STARFLITE. IF ITS A PROJECT BOAT, I'D WOULD SPEND SOME TIME ON GETTING THE BOTTOM STRAIGHTEN OUT. TAKING ANY HOOK OUT, SHARPING THE STRAKES AND PUTTING AN SPARP EDGE ON BOTTOM WHERE IT MEETS THE STERN. THAT SHOULD ADD SOME SPEED IF YOU GO WITH LESS HP. ACCORDING TO ONE(JOHN TIGER) A PUBLISHED OUTBOARD GURU STARFLITES HAVE VERY ROUND EDGES THAT ROB 2-3 MPHS OR MORE.

Thanks Guys
It is nice to be here on this forum.
What do you thing, it is the difference from the
Opti 200 to 225?

Hubert from Germany w.f.g.

Oh about 25hp
icon_wink.gif
I'm kidding, I would think about 4-8mph, and a better hole shot

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

Back