• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Setback/prop for starflite/220merc

Skarecrow

I am looking at buying a Hydraulic jackplate and new prop with my tax refund in a couple weeks. The boat is a 1992 starflite, and the engine is a 1988 merc xri 220.

I've heard good things about mirage 25" props as well as laser 25" props for such a setup, does anybody else have any suggestions for prop selection? I'm looking for good all-around performance, leaning towards top end speed. i'm not especially concerned with pulling skiers, since i've got a 21" quicksilver now, so on tubing/sking days, i can pop that one on.

also, exactly how much setback should i be looking at? the boat itself has about 4" of setback in the hull already. i hear 10"-12" of setback for these boats is good, but does that include the 4" already in the hull? i was looking at the detwiler 6" and 8" hydrualic jackplates over on www.rickracers.com, with an eye towards the 8", as that would give me 12" of overall setback. would i be better off getting say, the 6" jackplate and a 4" setback extention?

I am looking at buying a Hydraulic jackplate and new prop with my tax refund in a couple weeks. The boat is a 1992 starflite, and the engine is a 1988 merc xri 220.

I've heard good things about mirage 25" props as well as laser 25" props for such a setup, does anybody else have any suggestions for prop selection? I'm looking for good all-around performance, leaning towards top end speed. i'm not especially concerned with pulling skiers, since i've got a 21" quicksilver now, so on tubing/sking days, i can pop that one on.

also, exactly how much setback should i be looking at? the boat itself has about 4" of setback in the hull already. i hear 10"-12" of setback for these boats is good, but does that include the 4" already in the hull? i was looking at the detwiler 6" and 8" hydrualic jackplates over on www.rickracers.com, with an eye towards the 8", as that would give me 12" of overall setback. would i be better off getting say, the 6" jackplate and a 4" setback extention?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skarecrow:
I am looking at buying a Hydraulic jackplate and new prop with my tax refund <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm.. tax refund?? i love those words...

the guy who invented that should receive a medal of honour....
icon_biggrin.gif

helmich
Checkmate senator special edition V8 5.7L-260HP
info@oost-west.nl

Back