• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

shoot thru hull transducer install

Mbailey

I know alot of questions have been asked about installing shoot thru hull depthsounders in pulsares so I thought I would throw a quick post in here for info about my 21 foot BR.
Over the weekend I installed a Hawkeye D10 depthsounder with the thru hull or transom mount transducer.
I figured the bilge over the pad would be the most likely place being it is supposed to be 1/2 in plywood. I took the bilge pump off the mounting and used a two inch hole saw to remove the center of the bilge pump mounting board closest to the transom to make enough room to seat the transducer. It is nonstructural and actually not painted or coated on the bottom so it can rot.
I tested the transducer according to the directions by putting it in a bed of Vaseline and screwing a wide wire tie over the top of it into the 1 inch or so of wood remaining on side to hold it tight against the hull.
Hooked up everything temporarily and went out on the river. It would register intermittantly in shallow water and pretty consistantly in anything over 10 feet unless it was a very soft bottom. Granted the water is pretty dirty and we have alot of mud out of the channel, still not what I really wanted.
I took the boat out and removed the seat back so I could reach the area better. I ended up doing three hole saw cuts to completely remove the center of the bilge pump mounting board so I could see the area under it. I noticed just behind the gas tank the glass was thinner and not multilayered like back at the transom. I used a small sander with an attachment to grind about 1/2 way thru the glass leaving I woud say 1/8th or a little thicker layer that was level and smooth but still waterproof and large enough to fit the transducer. I also cleaned up the edges of the hole saw cuts and coated the remaining plywwood to water proof it.
Taking a chance because it looked like good glass and little air over the ply I epoxied the transducer as instructed using devcon 2 ton clear slow set epoxy not silicone which is supposed to reduce the signal transmission.
I cut a piece of 1/8 aluminum plate and remounted the bilge pump on it and screwed it back in closer to the transom using the wood left on either side. It fit perfectly behind the transducer.
In any case I tried the sounder yesterday and it works perfectly. Registers depth all the time from 3' to 120' anywhere up to full throttle in any bottom at 60+ so it worked out very well. Happy, with no holes and a still waterproof bilge just need to mount display in dash permenantly. Hope that helps someone.
By the way also took ladder and drain fitting off and rebedded with boatlife caulk. Found almost no waterproofing and screw mounting holes were drilled all the way thru the transom from the factory so some water was getting in. Sealed now.

update, running at 63 mph gps, transducer finally lost bottom at 145 ft other then that, mounted and working great.

Great information! I was just going to browse today on this very topic.

I have a 16 foot Predictor, and I was looking to install the depth transducer "through hull" as well. Here's my issue -- I've never had a boat before and do not feel comfortable sanding or drilling into the hull. Presuming I can get to the very rear of the hull at or near the bilge pump, do you think I would be able to get an accurate depth reading in the range of 2 - 10 feet? Anything deeper is really irrelevant to me. I picked up a Hummingbird 170 (dual beam). I really don't care about its accuracy about fish location, but do care about depth readings. I will be running in a shallow river (Wye Rivver, MD) and an even shallower creek (at slow speed moving to my dock). Any thoughts?

I would give it a try for certain. I am not sure about your hull, cored or not in that lacation. Someone else on the forum may have a better handle on that. My pulsare from what I determined is 1/2 ply and glass which seems to work fine, you just loose some depth, IE I get up 148 ft instead of 200 but who cares. It works great from 3- 10 '. I would try it in your hull with the water bag trick or vasaline 1st to see if you get any reading at all, then go from there. Like I said mine was intermittant when I tried it, but when I finally got the glass smooth and used the epoxy it works perfectly. Look for areas with no bubbles or voids if possible.

I would start a new thread to see if anyone has had any success in your hull. I know there are threads out there already so take a look at those also. - Mark

Instead of starting a new thread I'll see if anyone will chime in on this one. I have some questions about setting up an in hull transducer. Does it need water to read or how does it actually work? I installed mine, but haven't glued it in yet. Just wondering on how I go a out testing it and what not thanks.

Back