• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starliner: 2 Bank Charger, Dual Batteries with switch

Sam I am

Hey guys, what exactly does this switch do and how does it work? So before I hook up the leads to my batteries and plug them in, I'd like to make sure I have this unknown made certain so I don't inadvertently ruin the batteries or the boat. The install instructions are the same for series or parallel (hook up the leads for each bank to each battery) but how will the switch impact this...not at all?

Overall view of the install

93CDC886-BC30-419F-AA5F-017C5B2AC142_zps2gtithiu.jpg

D39F71AB-34D8-4F2C-BDFA-36B2F300C739_zps0bkjy8lb.jpg

The batteries

2AFD935A-4C9C-4163-A4E5-96D748683CC1_zpspqhko609.jpg

Okay, I think I figured it out: as long as I'm not charging the batteries in the combine position I should be good. Thanks youtube. Hopefully this helps someone else too.

Edit: My confusion was how to charge a battery that wasn't selected with the switch. But I now realize that's not how the switch works. Each battery is functioning all the time, but the switch keeps each battery in isolation from each other at all times unless combined is selected. Charging with the onboard in the combined position doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

Last edited:
The switch you have is generally only used with one battery, to cut power to the accessories, with a dual set up the switch should have 4 settings, off, batt 1, batt 2 and both, and never run on both, I know most people do but your not suppose to.

Okay, I think I figured it out: as long as I'm not charging the batteries in the combine position I should be good. Thanks youtube. Hopefully this helps someone else too.

Edit: My confusion was how to charge a battery that wasn't selected with the switch. But I now realize that's not how the switch works. Each battery is functioning all the time, but the switch keeps each battery in isolation from each other at all times unless combined is selected. Charging with the onboard in the combined position doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

Love your liner just bought the 88 brown an sand liner in n dacota drove 18 hrs back to iowa an i love it grew up on a 77 trimate 3 wt a evinrude 200 always love the checkmates

The switch you have is generally only used with one battery, to cut power to the accessories, with a dual set up the switch should have 4 settings, off, batt 1, batt 2 and both, and never run on both, I know most people do but your not suppose to.

Thanks John. I almost texted you, but went to YouTube instead and also posted here.

Love your liner just bought the 88 brown an sand liner in n dacota drove 18 hrs back to iowa an i love it grew up on a 77 trimate 3 wt a evinrude 200 always love the checkmates

Hey! Thanks! That Rootbeer Starliner was pretty!! Congrats and enjoy!!

Back