• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sugar n Sand

Jimway

OK, it looks like a 96 Heat, although I can only see about 1 square foot of it. 120 horse 4 cylinder. Might I also bring up a previous statement, "I will say that there is no dog in his household". I do like the Sugar Sand stuff, and have some small experience with them. Heaven only knows what you two are up too. So I'm thinkin that the vessel is about 14 feet in length, about 7 feet wide, and about 900 lbs with no driver or fuel. How am I doing so far?

Your close on most of it. I can't remember the exact year I would have to check the title. the rest of your description sounds close enough for me. There are big plans lined up for this little boat. Was going to let it go but after you humiliated the shark it made me realize somebody has to take you down a notch ot two. As far as no dogs comment that was all Bryan I have 3 at home can post pics if you like. The dogs are no worry though as the boat is sitting in my the storage area of my Body Shop and not at home. My wife has no clue about it and I would love to keep it that way.:devil:

Got your back on the Wife thing, I'm still in trouble for the high speed stuff around here, Somebody talked. I really like the Heat model and am on the lookout for one around here. In my defense, it was the Shark that deserved to be taken down a notch, I'm just sayin. I'm pretty sure that you guys cant get a small block in the engine compartment, but a coupla extra pistons might be needed.

I'm thinkin that an all aluminum LS-1 with AT pump is gonna weigh a coupla hunnert more than the Sport Jet that's in there, plus electronics. There would have to be some fiberglass dust flying around too. Seems kinda tight back there. Maybe a 240 Sport Jet, if the engine compartment is tall enough on the Heat. In the Mate, I would have liked to move the powerplant a little more aft, but ran out of room. It barely fits between the transom and fuel tank. Been lookin at the 240 but it is taller. Present motor combination nearly touches bottom of engine hatch without flywheel cover on.

You guys are close with your thoughts but the LS1 is just a little too large for the engine compartment. I don't want to do too make it too obvious that I have something different under the hatch. I would love a little sleeper like Jims' to beat up on some unexpecting big boats. I will share some info online because I trust that you fellas will keep it between us, even Jim can know whats happening because if we do meet up in the future the race will be more fun if we both know what we are up against. I have 2 ideas in mind 1st is rebuilding stock powerplant and addidng three small turbo's more likely option is a little g.m. engine that I got after the bosses son totaled his blazer. I'll attach some pics and am open to opinions.th_DSCN0154.jpg
th_DSCN0152.jpgth_DSCN0123.jpg

I thought I would throw up a couple pics of the hounds as well since thay have come up a few times.
th_5536_1026565719749_1693498285_51083_6772596_n.jpgThis little 22lb terror is only harmfull if you are a squirrell or a snake.
th_5536_1026565639747_1693498285_51081_3824906_n.jpgThis one is only harmfull if you are a bowl of food.
th_5536_1026565319739_1693498285_51073_6519442_n.jpgThis one is only harmfull if your are breathing. If you look close you can see a little teeth in this pic as he was trying to get the little dogs full attention.

Hey RNGR, at the risk of being taken down another notch, I think my guess was pretty good based on a small corner of the vessel in a photo. Is that a Vortec? I like the boat. The thought of a V-6 and an outdrive is speeding up the old pulserate. Had some good results with a blower on a vortec, but there is some weight there. I did see teeth in the photo of the big one and felt a small chill based on recent experience. Looks like it would bite the brakes off of a old gray haired guy, if given the chance....

Weight comparison: in the front of the s s impala , the 5.3 liter aluminum v 8 weighs less than the 3800 cc supercharged v 6 . just a thought :cheers:

Jimway;541217 Is that a Vortec? I like the boat. The thought of a V-6 and an outdrive is speeding up the old pulserate.I did see teeth in the photo of the big one and felt a small chill based on recent experience. Looks like it would bite the brakes off of a old gray haired guy said:
Yes it is a g.m. 4.3 vortec W code. May I say you are on the right track a certain someone with a hot enchanter still has a fresh outdrive laying around. As far as the dog he has never bitten anyone that stayed away from him.:)

Weight comparison: in the front of the s s impala , the 5.3 liter aluminum v 8 weighs less than the 3800 cc supercharged v 6 . just a thought :cheers:
You are correct on the weight comparison but the physical size the LS engine doesn't work, I couldn't locate a large enough shoehorn to make it work. Brians engine builder assured me he could put that fat 4.3 on a diet and get great H.P. #'s at the same time. :surf:

Sleeper = fun. I'm thinkin about the weight of the motor and outdrive and balancing the boat. In the Mate, by omiting the oiling system, the 2.5 is lighter than the 120 by a few ounces.I'm also thinkin about the structure in the aft end of the Heat, or should we say HOT. What about the flat part of the hull for the intake, Fast Eddie and me have been workin on that one. Been thinkin about the turbocharged two cycle but dont know how well that would hold up on a 120 powerhead. Had this Detroit two cycle deisel that had a big turbo feeding into the blower, we called it the Road Oiler, you could melt a hole into a piston on it without tryin too hard, and it was a really HEAVY built engine.

Running one turbo per cylinder as you mentioned earlier is not an efficient set up. You want a steady stream of gasses flowing into the turbo so hooking several cylinders to one turbo will spool it better. If you want a big punch in a light package on a budget then look into the turbocharged 2.0L 4G63 that came in the 1990 to 1992 Eclipse/Talon/Laser. Even the 1993 and up ones were OK but the earlier ones were more durable. In a car a stock shortblock will live at 500hp with a decent tune. With a set of injectors and a mild turbo upgrade you could make 325 to 350 very reliably.

John

Thanks for the info. If I go turbo which is very unlikely I will be going with the stock powerplant as I already own it. The 4.3 is more likely because it's just sitting here and then I have to decide what to match up behind it. I am truly thinking about going to Bryans house and stealing the outdrive from Roasted Income. Seeing as he is having back surgery and will be bed ridden and medicated for awhile I should be able to get down there and make away with it without his knowledge.

I am truly thinking about going to Bryans house and stealing the outdrive from Roasted Income. Seeing as he is having back surgery and will be bed ridden and medicated for awhile I should be able to get down there and make away with it without his knowledge.

Back