• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sweet: 3.0 Duramax 1/2 Ton Silverado

I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 diesel and I love it, but have been curious about the 1500 diesel. Power, towing, fuel economy?

Chuck

My 2014 EcoD has been great. It would throw check engine lights due to emissions sensors, but that's a general diesel problem these days, not a specific manufacturer issue. The biggest problem with today's diesels is that they require an EGR valve to pass emission standards. For the uninitiated the EGR valve is the Exhaust Gas Re-circulation valve that actually routes exhaust back to the intake...this is why Diesel oil is so dirty when changing. The reason for the EGR is that introducing exhaust into the intake reduces the amount of oxygen in the combustion process Exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR) is a system that takes exhaust gas from a diesel’s exhaust manifold and reintroduces it into the intake of the engine to reduce the amount of oxygen in the combustion chamber. Here's a better explanation stolen from another site:

"Why do modern diesels have EGR? you ask. Basically, EGR is used to reduce the formation of NOx emissions, which are created when the combustion chamber temperature exceeds 2,370 degrees. Pumping exhaust (EGR) back into the engine helps to cool the combustion chamber because EGR has almost no oxygen in it. Without oxygen, the temperature stays below the NOx-producing threshold, and the emissions coming out the tailpipe are cleaner.

Unfortunately, the EGR gasses from a diesel tend to bring a sooty mess with them...it’s a lot like cholesterol in your body. That sooty mess tends to gum up the EGR valve, EGR cooler, intake ports, and any sensors that are exposed to it."

I installed a tune on my EcoD from GDE engineering. A great little company that really know it's stuff regarding the EcoD.

http://www.greendieselengineering.com/Welcome.action

It's not a HP tune...it simply turns off the EGR, cleans up the shifting, adds a high idle feature (Super Awesome) and greatly reduces throttle lag. Once I installed that, my check engine lights were almost eliminated. However, I've started getting a 3 way coolant valve CEL. The 3 way coolant valve is a part on every Ram, even the Hemi's and it's been known to act up. So, I'll be replacing the three way valve myself sometime this weekend.

I've towed 6,000 lbs+ with it and had no problems. Mileage goes down when towing at speed...when towing my Ranger fully loaded probably weighed a little over 5,000 lbs and I'd drop to 9 mpg. Of course, I was going 80 down the interstate while doing so. EGT were no problem.

The biggest problem people have with the Eco's is that they think they can treat them like a 3/4 ton with big displacement and tow 9,000+ with no problems. That little engine is working hard if that's the case.

My best mileage I ever saw was coming home from Canada with a big tailwind almost zero grade. I had the cruise set at 83 and was pulling 31mpg. Awesome. The wind really effects the mileage. I'd see a 5 mpg swing on a head wind and sometimes worse if it was a real strong one.

The only other issue I've had with my Ram is the GPS is wonky now. Sometimes it's right on and sometimes it's got me 30 miles off route out in the middle of a lake or field...not on the road. The compass is also off when that happens too.

Fiat Crysler America got busted like VW did cheating the EcoD's emissions and now they need to re-certify. They got the 2017's released, but there are no 2018's. They say they're coming back in 2019 and I think that's true, but time will tell. Ford was supposed to release their 1/2 ton diesel but that's been pushed back too. Now that Chevy and GMC are in the market place, prices should get better I hope.

We've got a 2016 Duramax Canyon and it's a great little truck. On long highway trips it gets incredible gas mileage. If you behave yourself, it will average less than 6L per 100KM. In the city, it's almost as good. In mixed driving it gets around 7-8L per 100KM.

We've also got a 2500 series Silverado with a 6.6 Duramax for our tow/haul beast. It's also a great truck. It gets pretty similar gas mileage to the 1500 series 5.3L it replaced. According to the trip computer, on the highway my best 650KM is 10.1L per 100KM. The best 50KM is 7.4L per 100KM. Those best numbers pretty much mirror the best numbers for my previous 1500 Sierra with the 5.3L with the 8 speed tranny.

-Chris

Back