• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Temp going hot and cold

I have a 1990 vision 221 with a 350 crate motor. At the end of the season the temp gauge was running hot and then would drop. Sometimes I would turn the key on and the gauge would read 200 and it has not been started for a day. I could put my hand on top of a riser for 10 seconds then would have to take it off. What should I do. thanks guys

If the vessel has been idle for a day and the exhaust manifolds are still hot, this should be very interesting indeed.

Sorry for the confusion, The risers are not hot after a day, right after running it is when I can put my hands on them for 10 seconds. When I first turn the key on when the boat has not run and is cold the temp gauge reads 200 or is pegged out. after starting it, it slowly goes down and then bounces around as I drive the boat.

One wouldn't be able to keep one's hand on a 'normal' (Let's say 180*) engine for very long. If you can place your hand on the manifold for several seconds, that might just indicate 160* or so. I have a hand held laser type of non contact temperature probe that comes in very handy at times like you are having. It is beginning to sound like a ground/wiring possibility? The gauge indicating a high temperature on a cold engine would seem to reinforce this idea. Bad grounds in the electrical system is the bane of boaters.

Had the thermostat housing off lately? Use a typical auto parts store gasket to put it back on?

The marine thermostat gaskets have metal rings by the bolt holes to maintain grounding through the gasket between intake manifold and housing. Automotive gaskets don't. The one-wire temp sender uses grounding from the housing to function. Won't read properly and do what you are describing if what I mentioned has happened. You can test by using a probe or wire to touch good grounding point on engine and to the sender with the key on. If the gauge then reads zero while key is on and engine cold, then that is your issue. If that doesn't fix it, likely bad sender or gauge.

Thank you very much guys, I will check the gasket. instead of a probe can I use a temperature gun to check for temps? You have put me in a direction and I appreciate it.

That's what I would do, use the temp gun. You gotta love Gimme Fuels answers. Kind of like Howard Tibbs III, BAMM!

Back