• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The boys new build

john lamon

Hey guys it's been a while, haven't been here much since my Checkmate left but wanted to share this since lots of you guys seen this kid as a baby helping me with my Eluder build.

Rylan turned 8 in Oct and that meant he could get his Canadian boat licence so we spent last weekend doing that, he did the test on his own and got 86%, he wanted to start driving the 14' Lund that I had when I was a kid, it had a 25 Yamaha, but by law he can only run a 9.9 on his own, so I went to work on a old 9.9 I got for free but found out Tuesday that it wasn't worth fixing, needed a full rebuild, 2 hours later I owned a 2016 9.9 with electric start, lol.

We ran up to the lake Wednesday after work to get the boat and test it, first run you could tell the prop was too tall, lugging and slow out of the hole, We ran it again Thursday after work with a 1.5 pitch drop and it was much better, I hooked up a tach so I could see RPM and it was turning 5800 RPM at 17.4 MPH GPS, pretty decent for a 9.9 on a wide beam 14' with a 270 lb guy in the front, lol.

I've been working on it pretty much non stop in my spare time since Wednesday, installed two swivel seats, since I got a battery I figured why not put a bilge pump in, then today decided to put lights on it, sanded it all down and first coat of fire red is on, waiting for it to dry now so I can do a second coat, well actually it's my Mom that's doing the painting part, lol.

So pumped to get this thing fixed up for him, I probably spent 1000 hours in it when I was a kid, had it since 1985, I'll try and post some pics.

Here he is in it his first trip to the lake.

image_zpsybxipiip.jpg

The new and the old

image_zpstqve6tl0.jpg

The test run

image_zpsreo9asnw.jpg

New seats, I got them from work for free, couple imperfections so they were replaced under warranty.

image_zpsjpfdfn0f.jpg

Lights on and waiting for first coat to dry.

image_zpsg78oqhlg.jpg

Couple more things but it will be ready for next weekend for sure, I put a hour meter on it too so I can keep track of how much he uses it and he's got 9 gallons of fuel on board so he should never run out, lol.

Well she's all done for now, complete with new 1985 Lund decals, it's all in the details, lol, I got more plans for the inside but I think that going to wait for a while, I'd like to replace wood on the bench seats but make a storage compartment under them as well, it's just dead space anyway.

image_zpskz0u5yfg.jpg

Well we got it painted and new decals on again, pretty much same as we did the first time, only he’s older and did the work this time!! 12 hour return drive to bass pro in Calgary to pick the 20 up and We got it out last weekend, it’s awesome! The kid loves it, the 9.9 would push it 17 with just me and 21 with just him, I GPS’d it at 27 with both of us in it, he never got a chance to do it with just him but he said it’s crazy torquey with me out of it lol, need some more open water, hopefully some ice is melting this week.

Attachments

• B1083555-4812-4757-B307-AAB829C68FEE.jpeg
    B1083555-4812-4757-B307-AAB829C68FEE.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FCFAA962-BF1E-4F75-8B04-1D337CA833C6.jpeg
    FCFAA962-BF1E-4F75-8B04-1D337CA833C6.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 16
  • F921D300-F68B-42D4-AE00-D9D9DECF6658.jpeg
    F921D300-F68B-42D4-AE00-D9D9DECF6658.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 17
Back