• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tough Decision. To Sell or Not to Sell

Blue Mist '97

After much soul searching, I have decided to try to sell my classic mahogany boat. I put about 14 months of love into the restoration of this boat and used it for a couple of years till I bought my Persuader. It just doesn't get the use it needs.

It is a 1964 18.5 ft. Helton "Clinker" hull runabout with a 2008 Evinrude Etec 115, around 35-40 hrs on it. I do have the original 1965 Johnson Seahorse motor and control box. but unfortunately, no wiring harness that I will throw in with the sale.

I have many pics of the restoration if someone is interested in this boat. If you know someone who loves wood boats please let them know. This boat runs about 43-44 mph (gps) in current setup.

One before pic and a couple of after pics for now. Asking $14,000 complete with Etec and old motor. $6500 for boat and old motor. $7500 for Etec (with tach, controls, harness, oil tank and hoses. Viper 17"p prop) if boat with original motor only sells.

Original galvanized lift roller trailer, completely rebuilt. New axle, wheels and tires, bunks, rollers, winch and led lighting, included also.

More info and pics available. PM any questions. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 73
  • APRIL 6, 2008 LAKE SOMERVILLE_0002.jpg
    APRIL 6, 2008 LAKE SOMERVILLE_0002.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DP's Dallas Boat Show 019.jpg
    DP's Dallas Boat Show 019.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 80
WOW! Very nice resto:bigthumb:

the guy doing the paint on my boat has the same boat and he is in the middle of a resto on it now. I will print these to show him what it SHOULD look like!

Still got the woody and decided to give her a little up do this week. She was looking a little dated and dull, after all she just had her 50th birthday in March. Sanded the deck, gunwales and windshield frame prepping for a new coat of varnish. Forgot how much work there is in these old wood boats, she is now sanded smooth and ready for varnish, which is ordered and should be on the way. I can't wait to see her gleaming again. To me, nothing beats the beautiful new shine and sweet smell of fresh varnish. It's intoxicating.

Unfortunately, I still have a dang leak at the transom area. Thought I got it all last year when I spent several days repairing another leak. Took her to Lake Conroe today and backed her into the water for the first time in 2 years. Decided to crank up that ole Etec to see if it would still run. She fired up with no problems at all.

Finally found the leak and now have to figure out how to fix it. Leaking where the transom fits to the hull right below the starboard splash rail. Hopefully, won't be too difficult to repair with a little of Smith's epoxy filler, some sanding for varnish and then some 4200 (or maybe even 5200) on the inside seam. I will try to post some pics of the repair and varnishing as it goes along.

As before, this boat is still for sale, but I really don't want to sell it. Unfortunately, the market for antique wooden boats is very small and select, so possible buyers are few and far between. Not many people want to mess with the upkeep (most of the ones that own them, pay someone else to keep them up). Lots of time and love put in to the restoration. It's just hard to let go.

I have decided to move this boat to Conroe soon (maybe the wrong decision since this lake is almost all completely bulkheaded and usually rough as hell - may become a weekday evening only cruiser), and hoping to get a stall close to the Check, in the next month or so, until we can build our home in Kingsland on the Colorado River, just above Lake LBJ, in a couple of years. Will be nice to have both boats close together, since I usually work on them more than I use them.

Simply put "NOTHING BEATS AN OLD WOODIE", and not sorry to say not even a Checkmate. :(

They are a world of distinction all to themselves. :thumb:

Ok, now that I was bold enough open my mouth, let the castration begin. :eek:

Agreed. I don't want to sell, and may not if I can get it moved and get some use out of it for some weekday evening pleasure (dinner) runs. Nice not to have to tow it to the lake, just open the stall, hook up and drive 300 ft. to the ramp, launch, have fun, load it and put it back in the stall and drive home.

It would be nice to just take some time and go cruisin' when the water isn't all jacked up.

Also, just as I finished putting up pics, my varnish showed up from UPS. Guess that means next week, I have to get busy on the leak and the varnish. ;)

Here is the leaking area. If you look close, you can see where the caulking has shrunk and broken loose, causing the leak. Have to clean it out and re seal it with some 3M 5200 (comes in mahogany color) and then reseal the outside where the transom sits on the hull with some Epoxy filler.

Not surprisingly, my old tube of 5200 had hardened up, so I had to go pickup another tube today. Hope to get it resealed this weekend.

Attachments

• 20140529_111549.jpg
    20140529_111549.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20140529_111158.jpg
    20140529_111158.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 8
Hey Pat
Apparently I missed the beginning of this thread but just getting caught up now...:)
That is a beautiful old woody, --that is some fine woodworking you've done with her, with all that nice loving work you've done I hope you've decided to keep her.
I'm a little jealous, I've always wanted to do a woody resto for myself but never {at least not yet} been brave enough to dive into that kind of a project --- came close a couple of times.
Good luck with the leak --- lets see some more pics of her in the water after you complete the repair :drool:

Kurt

Thanks Kurt

I would be glad to give you some brush time if you want. I've got plenty of sandpaper and varnish plus an extra brush or two, if you want to practice up for one someday. LOL..

I am going to post a few pics of the leak repair progress shortly. Not going to be able to do much for the next few weeks. Got a couple of surgeries to contend with, so I will be slowed down for about 3 weeks. Man, gettin' old sucks!

Cleaning the old filler that has gotten soft and leaking thru transom seam into bilge.

Attachments

• 20140604_144649.jpg
    20140604_144649.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140604_144727.jpg
    20140604_144727.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140604_144743.jpg
    20140604_144743.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 6
Back