• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Transom replacement on a Predictor

Jorgeinmiami

I need to replace the transom on my Predictor.
Looking for some advice as to best go about it.
I've seen some go from the inside and some go from the outside. And curious if going with Arjay or some kind of pourable solution would work.

Maybe someone made a video?

Thanks

There are a lot more experienced members on site than me but I would remove the cap (deck) to access the transom. Some guys will cut the last 8-10” of the deck off to access the transom but then you have limited space to work, have to re-glass and then repaint.

On a Predictor, you can probably have the deck off in an hour or two. Hardest part is drilling out the rivets.

I would also put a wood transom back in vs a pourable or synthetic material. Installed and sealed correctly, a wood transom will last another 25 years and will be cheaper than the alternatives.

Good luck-

Stated out but cutting out all the old wiring, gauges, control box, steering and a bunch of other things that was either old or just plain crap. I had already taken out the nasty rug and found the floor not to be so bad but I think I'm going to replace it also. Next is to take of the engine and jack plate and sell both of them. Once I take off the engine I'm going to tackle the transom and dig out the old and in with the new. Not really looking forward to doing the floor because the more you dig the more I'm going to find.
Then I'll get it painted by a pro.

Reactions: SCT
Motor and jack plate are off.
Will be taking cap off in the next few days to get at the transom.
What kind of plywood do I use and how thick do I need. Marine ply is $110 here at Home Depo. Can I I use something else?

I dont think that you want to use pressure treated plywood. You want the resin to absorb into the wood. It wont with the pressure treated. But I'd definately get a second opinion.LOL

Stated out but cutting out all the old wiring, gauges, control box, steering and a bunch of other things that was either old or just plain crap. I had already taken out the nasty rug and found the floor not to be so bad but I think I'm going to replace it also. Next is to take of the engine and jack plate and sell both of them. Once I take off the engine I'm going to tackle the transom and dig out the old and in with the new. Not really looking forward to doing the floor because the more you dig the more I'm going to find.
Then I'll get it painted by a pro.
Luckily there isn't much floor in a Predictor. I need to do mine, too!

Out with the old in with the new.
Old wood out sanded and cleaned up. Applying 2 sheets of mat followed up with 1 of 1704. I have the 2 pieces of 3/4 marine plywood cut and sandwiched them with 1 sheet of mat and some putty. Letting it all dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll glass it in

Back