• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Turbo Props

Brian

Has anyone ever run a turbo "lightning" prop? I've run a regular turbo prop but not the lightning prop. Just wanted to get some input before I jump and get one.

Has anyone ever run a turbo "lightning" prop? I've run a regular turbo prop but not the lightning prop. Just wanted to get some input before I jump and get one.

Don't know about the lightning, but my boat darn near spit the turbo off the prop shaft. The boat handled like crap with that prop.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Forums4.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

Of course try any prop you can, but there's no substitute for Mercury's props.......

Forums4.jpg

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

JW what merc props do you suggest, I run them before, and couldn't get the right one, but I did run them with an old merc motor.

I've ran a couple 22 Turbos and loved them. Looking at the brochure it seems the Lightning would be a good choice for your boat. Made for V6 & V8 outboards. Aggressive pitch,high rake and large diameter 14 3/4". Designed to run with increased drive heights.Of course you never know until you try.
icon_cool.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

87 ENFORCER CUSTOM EDITION,454 MAGNUM SS ALPHA W/CUPPED 22 PROTESTOR PROP

Eriktheviking thanks for the info, do you know anyone whos run one though. It seems like to me that it would be just like araker prop.

No I don't,what engine are you running? You have a jack plate right? I've got a Merc. prop guide. Maybe I could give you some suggestions from it.
icon_confused.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm running a 04 evinrude ficht with the lightning gearcase, jackplate, nosecone, low water pickup, I thought maybe the tempest plus.......?

Only have Merc engines in my guide.They don't show putting a Tempest on any of the larger outboards. I believe their one of the largest diameter props.It would be nice to try a couple Mirages and see how it behaved.I think the Tempest might be too much diameter but I'm no expert.
eyes.gif
Check out ebay,ya never know what will pop up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What props would you suggest that I try, I just want top end. I need at least a 26-27 pitch, regardless of the dia. the torque from the motor is unreal.

O by the way I ran a Mod. 26 raker on the mate with the motor set right for the prop, with full tank and two people, and ran 76.8gps w/NO CHOP, conditions were dead calm.Then ran with one person last time out and got 79.4gps with cold water and cold air, but agian w/NO CHOP, so the boat runs over 80mph but how much is not yet known, guessing about 83, the racing omc rep. said that the motor was designed to run around 5700-5800, but I am running around 6100 so I can knock the r's down alittle, that might help ya's suggest props.

supergenius74 I have a 04' Evinrude H.O. 200+hp, on an 84' enchanter, which is 20'3''. The motor makes around 230hp. The gearcase is a omc lightning with a nose cone, that rides on a setback 6'' panther jack plate.A nice rig, its super clean, just the way I like it.Thanks for asking.

Back