• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vampires...am I the only one bit?

wet_dog77

Hi all. I recently became a Vampire owner for the 2nd time in 37 years...there was a significant time gap between boats. I'm looking to connect with similar victims...ie: those also bit! I have yet to find anyone...am I alone with my "under restoration" I64 model boat? So if someone out there has any brochures, etc. please contact me. I have also adopted a 10 ft GW Invader...

In short an acceptable (to my wife) mid-life crisis.

Thanks,
Robert

Hi all. I recently became a Vampire owner for the 2nd time in 37 years...there was a significant time gap between boats. I'm looking to connect with similar victims...ie: those also bit! I have yet to find anyone...am I alone with my "under restoration" I64 model boat? So if someone out there has any brochures, etc. please contact me. I have also adopted a 10 ft GW Invader...

Thanks,
Robert

Vampire ??? guess that term went way over my head... I had a 14ft GW Invader fun boats, and if you got a 10ft that was pre-1970 it should be listed for 50-65 hp and if so that little boat will give you a flying lesson ;) , I had a 115 merc on mine it was a 1968 and it was rated for 90 hp and she would~ air out ~ and fly on the lower unit at 70-75mph on radar back in the late 80's :)

A 14 ft GW...I just stumbled on a photo of one...Lust at first sight. I have added that to my must have list. The 10ft GW is placarded for 40 hp and sports a 50 Johnson. The Vampire is a 15 ft with needs and rated for 130 hp. I need to determine the right engiine to use. Ideas anyone...wgt to hp ratios?

ras

Here are a couple other fast oldies from back in the day.. The Magnum tunnels were really fast in the day. I owned one for a little while..

Attachments

• John_ab1969.jpg
    John_ab1969.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 31
  • TunnelSB69.jpg
    TunnelSB69.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 33
  • John1971.jpg
    John1971.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 34
A 14 ft GW...I just stumbled on a photo of one...Lust at first sight. I have added that to my must have list. The 10ft GW is placarded for 40 hp and sports a 50 Johnson. The Vampire is a 15 ft with needs and rated for 130 hp. I need to determine the right engiine to use. Ideas anyone...wgt to hp ratios?

ras

With a few phone calls I think I can find my 1st boat this spring I might see if I can track it down , and another boat I want to find is a G.W.Invader Tunnel Hull I have seen a few in pics and 1 in real life..~ I bought a factory add off ebay that was out of a magazine.. They were made here in Indiana Down around Kokomo / Gas City area.. They were a sleak fast boat, before its time.

ras

I think the V-4 Johnson/ Evenruide motors were all the same weight 85 - 140hp, and all basically looked the same too , you could look at a Merc 135 and check the weight, I think the Black Max series went 135-200hp and externally they all look the same too I think they are 430-450 lbs ( I helped Supergenius/Shane from this site hang his on his boat and he about freaked when I bear hugged the motor and picked it up 6in off the floor so he could put the bolts in to mount it to the jack plate :) ) That was back in 2006

Thanks,
Robert

Robert can you share some pics of your Vampire, I just spent the last hour on line trying to find a picture of that type of boat and no luck thanks..

+1. I looked around and about the only thing I found is that they were made in IL???? No pics anywhere.

Cool photos Jamie!

+1. I looked around and about the only thing I found is that they were made in IL???? No pics anywhere.

Cool photos Jamie!

iboats.com ~has info on the boat 1974 Valco RS-14 Vampire Runabout says its rated for no more than 60 hp and is auminum but has no pictures , and the pictures I have found is for a utility vampire, that is all - open- and has the standard 3 -4 row seat planks.. and the prices were crazy like 1,200-1,400$ for a 1974-1975 utility boat lol..

I can..being new to this forum, I don't know how to upload photos...it sez's that I need to use a URL site where they have been loaded...I'm unable to cut and paste the shots directly onto the post...Ideas? Ready to publish the shots and the old brochure that I found inmy archieves.
ras

I can..being new to this forum, I don't know how to upload photos...it sez's that I need to use a URL site where they have been loaded...I'm unable to cut and paste the shots directly onto the post...Ideas? Ready to publish the shots and the old brochure that I found inmy archieves.
ras

How most of us do it is, start a account on Photobuckets.com and load your pics on that site then you can copy and paste the URL from that site and post that in any forum on this site.
I like seeing pics of unique boats, I look forward to seeing them..

Back