• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vintage Jetmate

Jetmate

Finally, I am going to get around to posting some pictures of my 72 Checkmate.

6.jpg

First I rebuilt the Big block Chevy 396, .30 over roller cam and lifter, balanced, all the goodies.

94.jpg

Then we stuffed it in the boat.

95.jpg

I previously gutted the hull for paint, carpet, and interior.

99.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg
DSCF3179.jpg

DSCF3181.jpg

DSCF3182.jpg

DSCF3183.jpg

DSCF3184.jpg

DSCF3185.jpg

DSCF3186.jpg

4.jpg

Boat runs great, very fast, lotta fun. You can get some good air time too when the waves are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!! THIS IS A BOAT OF THE MONTH NOMINATION FOR SURE!!
Where do you boat?

That really is a beautiful job. Looks like a lot of fun too. You make it sound like it was so easy.

Thanks much JW. I boat in Maryland. I put in at Ferry Point marina, that is on the Magothy River, first river north of the Bay Bridge, western shore side.

Thanks Water Bug. I bought the boat in 1981. It was in pretty good shape at that time. We used a lot, skiing and scootin' around, almost every week end. In 1986 I got married, kids, house, bills, and it didn't get much use. It sat in the garage and I noticed some oil in the bottom of the boat. I pulled the engine and discovered a small pin hole from rust in the oil pan. I moth balled it with the engine out untill about 4 or 5 years ago when I started back on it. One thing lead to another and soon the boat was down to the bare hull. The kids are older now and my son loves the speed.

Thanks SCT. I never had the hatch, wish I did. When I bought the boat It had OT's on it, so the former owner took the hatch off. I traced back three owners before me, no luck. If anyone nows where i can get a hold of one please let me know.

Thanks SCT. No I don't have the hatch. The former owner took it off for a set of OT's. If any body out there knows where I can get a hold of a hatch, please let me know!!

It was originally a tutone metal flake, gold and black, similar to how it is now, but without the red high lights and stripes. I painted it myself with my son's help. The paint is Imron by Dupont.

Hey that is awsome !!!!! the boat and the color remind me of my chris craft XK-19 jet I had a few years ago....now I wish I would have kept it...oh well....great job !!! love it !! Rob

DCP03380.jpg

Back