• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Yamaha 425 ob

Yeah, its been quiet around here.

Google it in. Those suckers are huge.
A pair of those might sink your transom. Or hole-shot it into splinters.:rof:

I like them! Bigger displacement outboards, and I see Mercury is going that route also for a bunch of its new motors. Is Merc slowly phasing out the supercharged outboards?

Dang a year ago I'd have opinions 3 pages long by now.
New motors and new checkmates to talk about. Nothing but crickets.

Unfortunately, too many people prefer thumb thru miles of other opinions to post a boating thought or boat pic. Sad

With the recent releases in bigger, more efficient o/b's, I have to say I would be tempted to move to a big single next time I repower. 400r is probably still the standout as Yamaha's are that bit heavier from what I see (but I always loved Yamaha's reliability).

I know there's pro's and con's for both setups, but having a single for me would open it up for family members to drive the boat.
The twin's are too much for the Mrs to want to drive compared to our previous single o/b boats.

Pro's to twin setup:
- Looks and sounds awesome (Hey - let's be honest here!)
- Backup motor in case one fails - although from experience, the backup motor couldn't get me on plane back to base due to the setup at the time. So I will keep paying for BoatUS anyway.

Con's to twin setup:
- Fuel costs approx double for same use
- Maintenance costs double
- Extra power is pushing more weight. (second battery, additional steering components, etc.).
For example, in my case, 2 x 250hp two strokes are pushing a boat with 90g fuel and 2 x 650lbs motors.​

I do wonder if a single 400r with 90g fuel and only 1 x 650lbs motor would perform in the same ballpark overall, with a lot less overall fuel burn.

Admittedly, the outlay to get a newer motor and rerig the boat is not insignificant versus the ongoing cost of big fuel bills with the current (paid for) setup.
However, I just want to go boating with a reliable, more efficient setup and share the driving from time to time.

....I think you see where I may be going in the future! :poke:

Merc is working on a full cast, sleevless I6 block to upgrade the current Verado offering. Displacement will be between 3.5-4.0L and with being full cast, weight should be much less than the current design. Merc ran the PPAP’s on our tooling solution about 10 months ago and is reportedly testing in Dubai under some ROS cowlings. I would also expect to see the tuner type midsection, like whats on the ROS, also offered on the new motor. 500hp and beyond should be no problem for this new design. So, a single high hp ob setup would be a viable option with whats probably coming.

Back