• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Zt 260-280 Comparison

Scallywag

I had an 05 ZT-260. Overall I liked the boat, but the flop when turning was a big turn off. Does the 280 roll to whichever way you are turning in the same way?

I've driven many Checkmates over the years but not a ZT280. The ones I have driven, all did that. Pretty narrow bottoms. I would think it gets better as the hulls get longer. The little 218 I have right now seems like It can turn with the rub rail right in the water.

-Craig

I've driven many Checkmates over the years but not a ZT280. The ones I have driven, all did that. Pretty narrow bottoms. I would think it gets better as the hulls get longer. The little 218 I have right now seems like It can turn with the rub rail right in the water.

-Craig

Thats exactly why I was asking. Im Hoping someone has driven both and can enlighten me.

Basically all v-hulls will. My 253 would cut a fairly level turn about 50 mph, below that not enough speed to counter the lean. My 380 with twins will lean on the rub rail in a slow hard turn as well. Nature of the beasts. Play with it and give some throttle in the turns to see where you are more comfortable. With trim down they will cut and corner harder than you would think.

Basically all v-hulls will.

This is what I would call equivocation. Its not binary. All of my other boats ive owned, if turned a little to the right there would be an equally small right lean as it carved that angle.

With my ZT there was a small correction zone that was fine, but if you were changing your angle (because of say oncoming boat traffic) it would roll quite a bit. If you were turning around it would roll even further, and it took a lot of turning the wheel to accomplish. I always thought it was the stepped hull, but Craigs comment makes me think it could just be a Checkmate characteristic.

This is what I would call equivocation. Its not binary. All of my other boats ive owned, if turned a little to the right there would be an equally small right lean as it carved that angle.

With my ZT there was a small correction zone that was fine, but if you were changing your angle (because of say oncoming boat traffic) it would roll quite a bit. If you were turning around it would roll even further, and it took a lot of turning the wheel to accomplish. I always thought it was the stepped hull, but Craigs comment makes me think it could just be a Checkmate characteristic.

My Formula 242 heels over pretty far on a tight turn. Not as much as my Checkmates (they can have the rear corner under the level of the water) but they are much smaller boats.

Back