• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Finally bought a Starliner.

I'm in Cincy. My schedule is usually pretty busy but if you need help sometime let me know. If I'm not busy I'd be happy to help.

Well if you change your mind I'd make you a deal on the one I've got. Can't wait to see it with your Rude on the back. I've got a black motah now but I'm a fishin motah guy at heart.

John

I'm in Cincy. My schedule is usually pretty busy but if you need help sometime let me know. If I'm not busy I'd be happy to help.

Do you drive a red Chevy P/U w/a Checkmate sticker in the back window?
(need to get me one of those)
One passed us last Friday @ RT 48 in Lebanon on our way to the closing for our new house.

BTW, add a 24" Chopper and a 24" Raker to the prop collection. Going to get the boat this week to start testing.
Props first, then 2" spacers to the 6" jack plate, then 10" jack plate on the 6" jack plate.
Then the 3.3/FrankenRude III in place of the '91 225 3.0.

I'm sure by then it will be 11* and snowing and all my X Fla neighbors will be calling to check on me ;)

That wasn't me. I have a white chev pickup, I do have a Checkmate sticker for the back window but haven't installed it yet.

Ran my Tempest today (Ceasars Creek and ends up being 15 mins door to door ;) ) and picked up 2 MPH's over the 4 blade Shooter.
I saw 63.
The boat is still a pig. Cool thing is that at the 61/62 range you can feel the hull start to free up and get happy.
The set up is horrible though. Was going to drop the motor before but didn't want to skew testing #'s but after today...., it comes down a 1/2" and goes back to the water w/no other changes.

Also a note, to all that write off this hull as an antique, do we all know it is a stepped hull w/a notched transom?? Two huge positives for going fast.
I have some serious grunt waiting to replace the OEM 225 but not until I see what it'll do.

Also thinking........., w/my testing in set back, assuming I don't get bored w/the boat....., once I get it right I may build a bracket, fill the splash well and install a sun lounge.
How would that look??
And maybe a pad. If I don't get bored.

What pitch tempest are you running? I'm turning my 23 tempest to 6000ish rpm and running 65mph. I have a few other props to play with too. Are you going to the caesers creek shootout on Sat? would be fun to run a similar boat!

What pitch tempest are you running? I'm turning my 23 tempest to 6000ish rpm and running 65mph. I have a few other props to play with too. Are you going to the caesers creek shootout on Sat? would be fun to run a similar boat!

Tempest is a 23".

Don't think I'm going to the shoot out. Calling for a high of 55*.
The boat is in the barn for now. I bought it a few months ago and have done nothing but pour gas and beer through it and it needs attention.
Tach doesn't work, powerhead base gasket leaks (sprays!) and needs replaced, and I have a water pressure gauge to install.
I think I also issues w/my timer base advancing timing. First run of the day it comes out of the hole like 2 plug wires are off. A lot of times on the old motors the potting breaks down on the stators and runs into the linkage/movement of the timer bas and that's exactly what it acts like.

Before I go any farther I'm going to do the above and set all linkages to make sure I'm getting all the old girl has. It pulls pretty hard to 60 and then limps to 62/63.
We'll have to hook up for sure. Ceasars Creek was killer for testing.
I'm up in Cols all the time and will be dragging the boat up next season and maybe this one if we get an indian summer.
Gorgeous boat BTW.

I rebuilt and old 2.7 liter Bridgeport OMC for a buddy w/a Starflite in Fla and we bored it to 3.0 but left everything else stock and he was seeing 67 before installing a 6" plate. After the plate it chine walked bad enough he never got through it to see what was there and wouldn't let me drive it but I was sure he was into the 70's.

*EDIT*

Curiosity got the better of me.
Timer is glued in place so my timing is locked. Not sure where, but locked.
Explains the erratic idle and sluggish hole shot.

This may be fun ;)

Glad to see you're making progress Gary. My 200 would turn that Raker to 6000 and 63mph. You should have more. Like you said, right around there is where it really loosens up. My me in only 50 more hp and I picked up neatly 9mph with it. I attribute a lot of that to it being able to push the hull into the "sweet spot".

John

Got the Raker. Thanks John.

Now to get motivated and swap stators and continue the testing until the water gets hard.

Glad your happy with it. Hoping to get some seat time in before that happens here as well.

Ran my Tempest today (Ceasars Creek and ends up being 15 mins door to door ;) ) and picked up 2 MPH's over the 4 blade Shooter.
I saw 63.
The boat is still a pig. Cool thing is that at the 61/62 range you can feel the hull start to free up and get happy.
The set up is horrible though. Was going to drop the motor before but didn't want to skew testing #'s but after today...., it comes down a 1/2" and goes back to the water w/no other changes.

Also a note, to all that write off this hull as an antique, do we all know it is a stepped hull w/a notched transom?? Two huge positives for going fast.
I have some serious grunt waiting to replace the OEM 225 but not until I see what it'll do.

Also thinking........., w/my testing in set back, assuming I don't get bored w/the boat....., once I get it right I may build a bracket, fill the splash well and install a sun lounge.
How would that look??
And maybe a pad. If I don't get bored.

Hey Gary, in regards to your quote: "Also a note, to all that write off this hull as an antique, do we all know it is a stepped hull w/a notched transom?? Two huge positives for going fast.",yes, it's a very early example of "stepped" hull. There was not alot of R&D on V bottom steps at the time and unfortunately the step in the Starflite/Starliner bottom was very small and not well vented to the chine. I don't even think the step comes in contact with the water on a "fast" (above 70mph) Starflite/Starliner. That being said, I don't think the step would benefit the hull in top end speed numbers. The notched transom and the fact that the keel is a raised, almost pad like, "V" bottom would definitly make a difference. The notch in the transom allows running the gearcase further aft and higher for better water flow and less drag. The raised keel would also help lift the hull higher out of the water for less drag and friction. Once I get my Starflite on the water I'm going to shoot some video to see where the water "breaks" from the hull bottom which should be a good indicator if the step in the hull is actually working at higher speeds...

Agreed on the steps. I didn't remember that they had them until getting the boat home.
I sold Checkmates in '89 and we had a Starflite w/a Land and Sea accessorized 225 JohnRude and a Starliner w/a box stock XP 300.
Both hulls flew VERY well w/that power (and near identical speeds) and I'm sure the steps were dry at those speeds. Was pre-GPS days but it seems we were seeing 80 on a meter so probably a true mid 70's.
So far, at the speeds I've seen with this one, it ain't even close.

If I get motivated and have a break in the weather I'll replace the locked stator, drop the motor a 1/2" and head back to the lake.
I now have a 23" Tempest (to retest), a 24" Chopper, and a 24" Raker to try.
If that goes well then I'll add 2" spacers to the existing 6" plate and then pull the spacers and screw a 10" plate to the 6" plate and that will be the end of the current motors time on this boat.

I'd REALLY like to get the 3.3 hung so I can at least start break in and tuning (this powerhead configuration being an unknown) before seasons end.
To do that though I'll have to convert to hydraulic steering (which I already have) and add longer cables else where to support the additional set back.
I expect to end up w/just the 10" plate (hydraulic) when the dust settles.

As a side bar, the '91 motor that's on it now has 3* less positive trim than the 3.3 and other newer motors. I'd guess, as is, w/3 more degrees to allow over trimming (as we see in every picture of an O/B mate at speed) to get the bow up, it'd equal a few more MPH's as well.

Hey Gary, in regards to your quote: "Also a note, to all that write off this hull as an antique, do we all know it is a stepped hull w/a notched transom?? Two huge positives for going fast.",yes, it's a very early example of "stepped" hull. There was not alot of R&D on V bottom steps at the time and unfortunately the step in the Starflite/Starliner bottom was very small and not well vented to the chine. I don't even think the step comes in contact with the water on a "fast" (above 70mph) Starflite/Starliner. That being said, I don't think the step would benefit the hull in top end speed numbers. The notched transom and the fact that the keel is a raised, almost pad like, "V" bottom would definitly make a difference. The notch in the transom allows running the gearcase further aft and higher for better water flow and less drag. The raised keel would also help lift the hull higher out of the water for less drag and friction. Once I get my Starflite on the water I'm going to shoot some video to see where the water "breaks" from the hull bottom which should be a good indicator if the step in the hull is actually working at higher speeds...

The Liner will run a little slower than a Flite, I guess because of the extra a weight in the nose from the interior panels. Did you open the "wall" in the front and remove the foam? Do you have a bow cover for it? I have a post on here showing when I did mine and the hatch I put in.

Agreed on the steps. I didn't remember that they had them until getting the boat home.
I sold Checkmates in '89 and we had a Starflite w/a Land and Sea accessorized 225 JohnRude and a Starliner w/a box stock XP 300.
Both hulls flew VERY well w/that power (and near identical speeds) and I'm sure the steps were dry at those speeds. Was pre-GPS days but it seems we were seeing 80 on a meter so probably a true mid 70's.
So far, at the speeds I've seen with this one, it ain't even close.

If I get motivated and have a break in the weather I'll replace the locked stator, drop the motor a 1/2" and head back to the lake.
I now have a 23" Tempest (to retest), a 24" Chopper, and a 24" Raker to try.
If that goes well then I'll add 2" spacers to the existing 6" plate and then pull the spacers and screw a 10" plate to the 6" plate and that will be the end of the current motors time on this boat.

I'd REALLY like to get the 3.3 hung so I can at least start break in and tuning (this powerhead configuration being an unknown) before seasons end.
To do that though I'll have to convert to hydraulic steering (which I already have) and add longer cables else where to support the additional set back.
I expect to end up w/just the 10" plate (hydraulic) when the dust settles.

As a side bar, the '91 motor that's on it now has 3* less positive trim than the 3.3 and other newer motors. I'd guess, as is, w/3 more degrees to allow over trimming (as we see in every picture of an O/B mate at speed) to get the bow up, it'd equal a few more MPH's as well.

In the case of Mr Determination's OPA class 7 racing, the small steps probably help out in the quick accelleration department coming out of the turns at eacy buoy by aerating and freeing up the bottom!!:thumb:

Gary, it's been a while since I looked under my Starflite but if I remember correctly there's not only the single step that leads to the chine but also a couple other interesting features on the bottom aft of the step and on the keel..I'll have to shoot a picture of the hull bottom and post it!

The Liner will run a little slower than a Flite, I guess because of the extra a weight in the nose from the interior panels. Did you open the "wall" in the front and remove the foam? Do you have a bow cover for it? I have a post on here showing when I did mine and the hatch I put in.
Have done none of the above.

I will review your thread when I get time. Had planned to open that up for storage but never even considered that its full of foam!

Thanks to you that project just moved to my A list :rof:

Back