• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Finally bought a Starliner.

And I'm waiting to grab this one from you like I did that yellow Vector :cheers:

And I'm waiting to grab this one from you like I did that yellow Vector :cheers:
Learned my lesson on that one. Course the last motor I built would have killed me in that boat.

Already working on the head stone for above this one when they bury me in it :)
That's why I'm not in a hurry to get it done. Wanted one for 25 yrs, now I've got it and it will be done right.
I think you guys will all like it.

I am leaning towards closing in the splash well and building a bracket for it though.
Will be a tight fit though w/out all the set back I have screwed to it now. The hull is so deep that the motor would hit the transom when tilted up if you had less than 18" of set back and even then at full up.
At present, I plan to test as is and then tear it back apart if it works.

Would look good though :thumb:

Learned my lesson on that one. Course the last motor I built would have killed me in that boat.

Already working on the head stone for above this one when they bury me in it :)
That's why I'm not in a hurry to get it done. Wanted one for 25 yrs, now I've got it and it will be done right.
I think you guys will all like it.

I am leaning towards closing in the splash well and building a bracket for it though.
Will be a tight fit though w/out all the set back I have screwed to it now. The hull is so deep that the motor would hit the transom when tilted up if you had less than 18" of set back and even then at full up.
At present, I plan to test as is and then tear it back apart if it works.

Would look good though :thumb:

I know its a different boat but I was running 18" of setback on the Enforcer without a splash well and never had any problems! I would trim the motor high enough that the skeg was above the bottom of the boat without hitting. I would recommend going for it!! We love the sun pad and flat back side!

3 steps forward, 2 steps back......

So, jack plate and gauge are wired, controlled by blinker switch. Trim to second switch.
Pyro and pressure gauges installed/wired.

Also rewired the battery to switch on front of bench seat for easier access.

New brakes, lights, guides and wheels on the trailer.

Also pretty much rewired entire dash.

Basically done and ready to start/break in and start tuning.
Except......., the motor now cranks slow again!

May be starter but could also be the motor/battery/switch wiring I just installed.
I used what I had even though it was lighter gauge than I normally use but had it on hand.

So now I'm waiting on a replacement starter (already been through this one) and $150. Of 2 gauge wiring.

Ughhhhhh🔫

Headway..........

Weather was so nice today that I decided to drag her outside and let her breathe a bit.

Rec'd new wire to re-run what I just did for bettery-switch-motor.

I'm bummed it hasn't been on the water yet w/the new motor but I've gotten a lot done and if I hadn't taken the time to turn my pole barn into a shop, it would be done.

But in the last yr I've installed:

hydraulic steering, 10" hydraulic jack plate w/2" static on existing 6" plate yielding 18" of set back, turn signal switches on wheel controlling trim and plate, Land and Sea dual action foot throttle, modified 3.3 liter Ficht motor, dual pyrometer, all new wiring, plumbing, rigging, new trailer brakes, actuator, guides, wheels and tires and raised the rear of the boat 4".

The trailer looks a bazillion times better w/the boat sitting higher and the new wheels instead of those ghetto ass hub caps!

Attachments

• starliner 26.jpg
    starliner 26.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 58
  • starliner 21.jpg
    starliner 21.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 71
  • starliner 28.jpg
    starliner 28.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 76
Looking at the fading on the deck, Im really paying for the times we ran the boat in Ohio and put it away wet (outside w/a cover), while still living in Fla.

Attachments

• starliner.jpg
    starliner.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 73
  • starliner 15.jpg
    starliner 15.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 68
Gary, she might not be the fastest boat you have owned...,but she sure is sexy!

Merry Christmas!

That is one sweet rig. I've looked at yours a long time and then mine, and then yours...only real difference is that your bottom hull is white and mine is blue.

I'm going to have the decals like yours put on mine...somewhere along the line, mine were swapped out...they don't quite match the color either.

Nice boat, man.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Sam, can't wait to see yours. Next time past the factory maybe I'll sneak in the back door for some spy shots ;) (be past it next weekend)
Those colors and that boat should be an epic package.

I'm liking your side rails more and more. Especially w/how the boat should run now, they could come in handy.

I get frustrated w/not having it done yet but I spent 20+ yrs wanting one so slow down I guess, huh?
All I've had on my plate for the last yr too....

Best part might be buying it from e-bay and it working well.
We were still living in Florida, the boat was in Michigan, I bought it sight unseen and had no plan for getting it home or where to keep it:lol:
Other than that, no worries ;)

In keeping w/everything happens for a reason...., I've been collecting parts to build another shorty V-6 looper for an old school Mod VP project I have in my head all while watching for a donor V-8 to build for this boat.
Finally dawned on me..........., when I find a V-8, the motor on the Starliner donmntes its soul to the new hot rod project.

On the 8 project, it will get a shorty mid, a 3 liter Merc Sporty w/1.62 gears and side ram steering (why I rig current the way I did).

I would expect 80ish w/the 6 and 90 w/the 8. The sleeper from hell??

Be fun pulling up beside Bajas w/through hulls @ 50 and giving them the nod :devil:

And Merry Christmas to you all. Im off to Santas work shop to finish book shelves for our twin 2 yr old grandsons.

Last edited:
I would expect 80ish w/the 6 and 90 w/the 8. The sleeper from hell??
I'm thinking doing 60 in my Persuader 219 is enough 'terror' in my life. :eyecrazy:

I can only imagine doing 90 on the water. :drool: But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try! :thumb:

Happy Holidays!

Nice looking Starliner

I have wanted one also for years and just picked one up yesterday!
You made me laugh with your first post, stuff getting in the way. I sold my 21 Superboat way back in 95 to pave my office parking lot, It pissed me off thinking about it every time I pulled into my office.

I sold my 21 Superboat way back in 95 to pave my office parking lot, It pissed me off thinking about it every time I pulled into my office.
Hilarious!

I am 95% finished building my dream shop and then things will get easier.
Still pissed it didn't get wet this season.
Yet ;)

I can only imagine doing 90 on the water. :drool: But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try! :thumb:/QUOTE]

Set up, seat time, and a decent hull.

Here's an earlier project.
17' @ 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU5-D0tHDtk

I must have watched that video a couple dozen times before I bought that hull from you :bigthumb:
Best part about that deal was the boat and trailer condition was HONESTLY REPRESENTED by you Gary, unlike my most recent boat purchase from another member here...

Sorry to hear you had problems.
Been there done that.

I already knew to never trust anyone else's description of something they had for sale. I have a pretty high standard (as I know you do) but I broke my own rule and made a classic mistake. I trusted the description of someone I thought should have had the same high standards as I do.
I am mostly happy with the boat/motor/trailer, it's just that it needs $1500+ in repairs to make it 'as advertised'. And no offer of compensation or even an apology from the seller. Nothing. Even blew me off for a couple weeks after I sent him a detailed e-mail with pictures describing my findings. Pretty sad considering a good business person knows these days you must accurately describe the condition of something you're putting up for sale on the internet where someone from afar may make the purchase.

Back