• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Engine Cradle Mount

Gromet

Does anyone have any experience using non-standard mounts for the front brackets such as this:

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2815

I broke a mounting bolt last season and someone I simply started talking to in the parking lot suggested this not because I broke the bolt but because it provided a more secure and solid mount for the engine (especially in a performance boat). I can see the logic that the engine is now supported by a solid surface on all sides vs a leg on each stringer that will flex but wonder how much value it really adds.

Is anyone using this version or something comporable that they have had good or bad luck with?

Motor mounts

Gromet
That style of front and rear motor plate can be found in most of your V drive and jet boats. It looks like they do fail from time to time because I have seen a few of them in boats with welding and repair work on them. I think that kind of mounting system is really strong but can only be as strong as the stringers they are bolted to.This is a pick of my mounts and oil pan on the mach up block.http://April2007124.jpg

Last edited:
Another problem associatedwith thos etype of mounts is that you will lose the adjustability you get with stabdard style mounts. Meaning once set, you cant make minor adjustments to align the engine with the gimbal. You would have to move the brackets. Unless you are pumping out big power, my opinion is that you dont need them. In my case, I chose to go with these moiunts. So far, I have the beat the crap out of them without any failures.

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11593&c=41

I did re-enforce the stringers to eliminate the ridiculous lag bolt mounting system.

Attachments

• opt mount.jpg
    opt mount.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 18
I was having a hard time visualizing what the mount looked like, so that picture was a great help - thanks.

This gives me a good option if I am unable to get my broken mounting bolt out (attempting this weekend). Your advice is probably good regarding the need for it and unless I start breaking mounts I am leaning towards not replacing the standard mounts - until the day I can afford and then install the blower.

I found a few better pictures..Hope it helps.

Attachments

• bilge 2.jpg
    bilge 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 19
Now that is cool!!

But where did you get the "L" Bracket - or did you fabricate yourself?

I've often wondered about the "standard" setup, but I like what you have done in this example.

I fabricated those plates myself. I just cut some steel up and welded them together to form the angles. A quick grind of the welds, drop the bare plates off at the powder coat guy and you get a custom made plate capable of holding a good amount of power. The 1/2" stainless bolts that hold the billet mount to the plates are drilled and tapped into the plates. The heads protrude through the bottom of the plates. I just bored holes into the top of the stringers for clearance. Then, I got huge stainless lag bolts and fastened the plates to the stringers.

My engine is no behemoth by any means. But, I am making 720 hp and run the ocean alot. 3 years on those mounts so far.

Back