• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

handheld gps

ross

just got my hand held gps in the mail today! i bought a garmin e-trex legend and i'm going to buy a dash mount kit for it for the boat..... i also have to buy the marine upgrade so i don't need a depth finder! what are you guys using on your boats(not those big boats with the fixed mounted ones!):thumb:

I also have an e-trex hand held gps. I don't like it too much because you can't download maps and I am somewhat illiterate in the electronics dept so it seems like I always have to screw with it to do what I want. It takes a long time to find satelites and it shuts off by itself when I use it in cold weather. It is an entry level, low cost unit and I guess you get what you pay for.

there are many programs you can buy and download onto this unit you just have to know how! some you have to buy like the on for the marine aspect! when i get it all set up(in a week or so) i'll let you know and will walk you through it! i just ordered the dash mount for it for the boat! i will post some pics when i get it installed!

OOPS, I just checked the garmin site and an e-trex (Yellow/Black), like mine is discontinued. The e-trex LEGEND has much greater capabilities and looks like a nice product. I am interested in how you come out once you set yours up, as I may upgrade.

Dang Ross, howcome you didn't tell me you were ordering one...Heck..I found the one that I have for a bit more then the eTrex Legend. Mines the Legend HCX it has all kinds of sweet features....

You need a RAM mount. I'll post a link. They work really good and the GPS won't move at all!

http://www.gpscity.com/ramb138ga5

That is what you need man...You'll love it!!!!

Sweet! That mount aughta work just fine! There are tons of them around. It's just making sure that you can see what you need to and get to what buttons you need to when your cruisin the lakes!

will do- i wont have it here untill late next week- it was 7-10 days out!!! i'll post some pics on this thread when i get it done!:thumb:

anyone else have pics to share of there gps units in there rides? i would like to check out some pics before i install mine:rof::thumb:

GPS

If you're interested in a hand held Cobra GPS check with Wildman, he's got a great deal going.

Art

If it's slow it must be an OMC.

gps on boat 001.jpg

gps on boat 002.jpg

ok what do ya think and give your input! no sure as to where i want to mount it!

well here is the final product for now!- i would have put it closer to the drivers seat but i'm going to use for more than just speed- i will use it to navigate in shallow areas also so i don't want it to be right in my face:thumb: i do like the look of the lil' fella on the dash though!

gps on boat.jpg

gps on boat 003.jpg

all i need now is my new or should i say new to me switch boxes and we'll see how fast this thing really goes at 2inches for my prop shaft height!!!!! can't wait!

what you probably should have done was go out for a ride with it temporarily sat somewhere then see if you want to move it. but if you like it there then good. Don't need to piss off the g/f to much now:D

great install

I got your PM ross, looks good where you mounted it.
I need to get mine in the boat to see if my speedo is correct or not.

tlb- my speedo was about 3mph slow....... just an fyi:thumb: also that was before my jack plate and a few adjustments so that might not be an accurate reading.............let me know how it works out for ya!

Back