• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Senator engine swap?

cumminspower121

Hi im new to this forum and i have been trying to gather information about swapping my engine if it is even possible to go from a small block to a big block in a senator if so what will i need? any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks alot

I just dropped a new motor in my 87 Senator, but it was a direct replacement, 350 to 350. I understand, though, that the mounts on the 305 and the 350 are the same. The 454 may be a bit different, I do not know.

What year Senator is it? Post some pics!:welcome:

You can, but...... IMHO by the time your buy all the stuff to do it, unless you already have it...you'd be money ahead just findin' another boat, there are a lot of boats with alpha/ big blocks out there but i would rather see a bravo behind it.. my $0.02

It wont take much to get that small block over the 70 mph mark..:bigthumb:

You can, but...... IMHO by the time your buy all the stuff to do it, unless you already have it...you'd be money ahead just findin' another boat, there are a lot of boats with alpha/ big blocks out there but i would rather see a bravo behind it.. my $0.02

It wont take much to get that small block over the 70 mph mark..:bigthumb:

What he said, He has a FAST Senator.

Yea right now it has a 305 with a intake and carb but its getting tired im getting 57 gps now with a 21 pitch prop im new to boats.. and i was thinking of doin 383 or just a blown 350 then i saw a senator on ebay with a 454 so that was my other option but yea i think stickin with a sb would be best bet i just want like 70ish out of it

We repowered a customers this past winter with a 357Mag & B1 he went from 60 to low 70's... The boat originally had a stock 350 alpha set up. You could do that or Repower with a 383 mag mpi or 400 Merc scorpion Small block & get nice speed without the weight and space loss! :) If you would like to look into us doing this for you feel free to contact me.. :)
Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

BTW: Welcome to the site & Nice choice, the Senator's are a nice model.. :)

yea defiantly worth considering thank you! i just want to try to keep up with my friends in their big block baja's and such LOL

And if that may not be enough, then go with the 383 Mag mpi SBC.. This way if you find you want more yet we can do a custom whipple install & get you about 525hp on that platform.. We have already done this in a C'mate for a customer & it was nutz! Jamie / Lakeside

Attachments

• stsc0509.jpg
    stsc0509.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 21
  • stxr08.jpg
    stxr08.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 19
I`m almost done with my 598 to replace the "peanut headed" 454 in my `88 Senator. I can get 71+ on gps with the old motor, the new one should be interesting. From what everyone says I should be setting my rev chip at about 3600 rpm! I`ll let ya know what happens! I have already put in an all new transom assy, bravo xz drive with an imco 2" short lower. The drive should hold up, the hyd. steering will be installed with the swap.

Back