• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I must be doing something wrong.

Rmorris

I'm trying to measure the distance between the prop shaft and the bottom of the pad. I have tried several different methods but I keep coming up with 4 3/8". I keep reading threads where people say that their ideal height is anywhere from 1" to 3" below the pad. I don't see where I have enough free adjustments to get to that range.

First - this is how I measured.
With the boat on the trailer, I cranked the tounge down until the pad is level. Picture #1.
Then I put the level on the cavitation plate and ran the trim down until was level. Picture #2.
Then I placed the level along the prop shaft and taped it at level. Picture #3. Then I measured the height between the bottom of the pad and the top of the level. That is in picture #4 which is on the next reply.

So is this a correct measurement of the height?

Something is wrong

Forgot the pictures.

Attachments

• 100_4965.jpg
    100_4965.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_4963.jpg
    100_4963.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_4968.jpg
    100_4968.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 51
Something wrong

So after I measured and found 4 3/8" height, I started looking for ways to raise the motor. I see that I can raise the jack at the transome about 5/8". I can also raise the motor one bolt hole - about 5/8". That is only 1 1/4" which still leaves me at about 3" height. The adjustment on the jock is already all the way up. Somebody tell where I am wrong please.

Attachments

• 100_4970.jpg
    100_4970.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_4971.jpg
    100_4971.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_4973.jpg
    100_4973.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
Set the motor about 3" - 3.5" below the pad. Raising the motor higher will not make it any faster, it will only make it cavitate in turns and not carry the bow. People seem to thimk that raising the motor will make the boat faster. It won't unless the boat runs over 75 or so. You do need to get it higher than it is though. Don't waste your time!

Randy is right.... 3-3.5" should be fine on your setup. That's the best you can get with a CMC plate. If you ever need to go back farther and higher look to other manufacturers. A few guys on here run the Vance Mfg. plate and it starts out higher than the CMC plate. My 10" hydraulic Detwiler mounted with the center holes on the plate and center holes of the motor gives me a range from 4" below to 2" above.

Motor Height

Measure from the ground to the CENTER of the prop shaft. Set motor anywhere from 3 to 3.5 inches and you will be good to go.

Back