• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I accidently tried to kill my prop and skeg today....

Blue Mist '97

Drove 200 miles on Wednesday for some cruising on Lake LBJ. All was good until today when I tried to enter cove that had granite on one side and a sandbar on the other. The owner of the resort where we stayed had set up buoys to mark a channel that was supposed to be safe to pass through. Yep, it wasn't. Banged up my prop and the broke the skeg on the lower unit. I took a couple of pics tonight but I don't know how good they are going to be. Attached.

I don't know if it would it be better to have the skeg welded or try to find a used Bravo 1 lower housing that somebody has lying around.

Will a newly welded lower unit be strong and last?

If welded, will there be heat problems with regard to the gears? Must it be disassembled prior to welding?

If it has to be disassembled anyway, would it be better to just replace the housing (if I can find one) and get the gears changed out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BM 97

Attachments

• 2012-04-05_22-25-19_885.jpg
    2012-04-05_22-25-19_885.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2012-04-05_22-27-11_525.jpg
    2012-04-05_22-27-11_525.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 39
I'm no expert but that doesn't look that bad. Why not put one of those stainless skew guards on it?

You can buy a new replacement skeg from Merc & have a competent welder or prop shop weld new piece on. No need to pull lower unit or gears.

Mercury 815632A1 skeg for Bravo 1

Eric

Last edited:
Repair

I just found a marine place near me that specializes in skeg and cavitation plate repair. They can cut off the old skeg, weld on a new one and paint it for $200. Plus they can do it in a day, two at the most. No muss, no fuss, no missed water time. Cheaper than replacing the casing plus the cost of swapping gears out.

I like the idea of putting a skeg guard on. Will have to look at them and decide after repair is made.

Thanks to all. Any more advice is welcome as I am not scheduled to get it repaired till Wednesday next.

Just make sure whoever does it changes the oil, I've been told the drive oil acts as a heat quench and then is junk when you're done welding

Lower unit oil

That, is good information to have. He said that he did not need the lower unit drained. Hmmm. It sure makes sense. I will be sure and get that done when repairs completed. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Back