• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Prop burn

Blue Mist '97

Is there such a thing as propeller burn? I am looking at a Bravo 1 and in the pictures sent to me, it looks like one or two of the blades has some markings that look like burn marks on the face of the blades. If so, is it caused by cavitation, high rpm or something else. Should I be leery of it?

Searched but didn't find anything on here, but I think I remember reading something about that on this site.

Here's all the pics I have received on it. #1 and #3 mainly.
Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 24 BRAVO 1.1.jpg
    24 BRAVO 1.1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 24 BRAVO 1.2.jpg
    24 BRAVO 1.2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 24 BRAVO 1.3.jpg
    24 BRAVO 1.3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 52
Prop burn happens to aluminum props that are run high enough to surface. The burn marks will show up on the face of the blade in the upper middle area. I've burned all my aluminum props, even on the wife's tow-pig. I've never heard of burning an SS prop. I've run them high and hard, and never done anything but throw a blade.

You should see the cavitation burns on the stainless impeller that come out of the Playmate. It's burned all across the base of the blades and pretty deep too. Too much motor and revs, I think.

More of a problem with aluminum

98wb.jpg

My bravo 1 also has a small amount of burn on it. It is possible to burn a stainless prop it just doesn't happen as easily or as fast as aluminum.. Depending on how bad it is and what the price is would be the deciding factor on if it is an issue to avoid buying. They can be filled ans smoothed without causing any weakening to the prop really. But that cost money. And if it is too burn then the blades have already been weakened.

Back