• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1986 12ft playmate owner, one of last 10 made

Ryntipton

Hey guys, i'm Ryan, 29 years old and live in the Houston, TX area. Last year i saw this little red boat in poor shape sitting in a field with a forsale sign. I called on it. Was told its an 1986 checkmate playmate and the guy wanted $500 without motor. I passed on the deal, not knowing anything about checkmate boats at the time.
A year passed and in febuary of this month i was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer, under went surgery and ended up with a colostomy bag. Currently undergoing chemotheropy and due to lots of doc visits and the chemo i'm unable to work for now leaving me with a good amoint of time on my hands. Im crafty by nature, and a pipefitter / pipe welder by trade.

Back in march of this year the owner of the little red playmate texted me saying he reduced the price by $50. I responded saying that i cant afford to purchase with cash due to medical bills and not working, but i could trade him my 1954 J.C. Higgins model 60 12 guage auto loader. I only paid $100 at a pawn shop. He accepted and i tool the boat home as a proud new owner. Its been my little project, i do something to it each day that im feeling well enough to work on it. Ive wet sanded the hull, compounded, polishe with glaze, and then waxed it. The factor metal flake looks nearly new now! I added a seat base, two seats to replace the bench seating. I figured i needed room for a cooler, it now fits between the seats. My pelican 1060 dry box and cup holders come in tommorrow. Today i made a raised back section to store the battery and metal fuel tank. Next week a guy id redoing the floor for me for $250!! I thought that was a great deal, hopefully it turns out nice and i can then carpet over it!

I traded a yeti roadie cooler 20qt that i won in a free drawing for a 1972 mercury merc 500 (50hp). It started up and ran when i looked at it but the compression tester that i rented from autozone was broke so couldnt test befor buying. I figured if it started up then the compression was more than likely fine. After getting it home i rebuilt the fuel diaphram, replaced all the vaccum lines and fuel lines. Replaced all fuel connection. New starter and starter silonoid. Rebuilt both carbs and replaced floats. New ngk spark plugs. And new decals are on the way. The motor came with title that is now in my name and a 3 blade brass prop.

Since the motor is a long shaft i started looking for a way to raise it. I found just the ticket! A CMC trim/tilt unit rated up to 130hp motors. I traded a nice calcutta reel for it. Reel was worth about $180. It is in opperating condition and has the lift kit to raise motor 3 inches which is just perfect for the playmate since its a 18" transom. I hope to mount them this weekend once my metal transom plate gets back from being powder coated.

Things i still want is a gps speedo/tach combo, gauge hole radio, trim tabs, and a bar made for the back so i can mount some speakers and a flag to.

Ill try to keep this updated as work continues.......

In the meantime i'll post some pics just as soon as i figure out how. Help?! Lol

Hey Ryan, Sorry to hear about your health issues and hope your recovery and outcome goes well.

Good luck with the Playmate and I'll be watching for pictures.

The easiest way to post pictures is to use a hosting site like Photobucket. You load your picture(s) there(on photobucket) and copy a link to them in your post using the image icon(the one that looks like a post card).

Hope this helps

Ahhh, excellent :banana: :banana: :banana:

I have 7 hours of chemo to do today, so ill save myself from boredom and post the pics now that im educated on doing so. It would just be so much better if they had dancing girls serving beer there.... i mean who complains about being held up at the titty bar for 7 hours... lol. Brace yourself because this idea could go nation wide! :cheers:

The cooler is my center console! Holds a Heinekin keg and keepa it cold and on tap. It was the best way to pack the most beer in the smallest cooler!

Attachments

• IMG_20160607_133001.jpg
    IMG_20160607_133001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20160607_133529.jpg
    IMG_20160607_133529.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20160607_134323.jpg
    IMG_20160607_134323.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 57
Looks like a little Rocket Ship in the making!!!

Good luck with the chemo... :thumb:

:welcome:Welcome to the Forum. That's a sharp looking little CM you have there Ryan. The polish on the metalflake came out great. Best wishes on the rest of your rebuild and your health.:thumb: Jim

I just had the floor replaced this week! This guy out of the Tomball, Texas area did great work with a 2 day turn around for only $250 materials and labor! Couldn't be happier with his work! If anyone is in the Houston area and needs fiberglass work let me know and i'll pass along his number...

I get to hang the motor and cmc trim unit today! Anyone ever seen a polished old mercury outboard? The motor, 1972 mercury 500 thunderbolt needs a paint job and and decals, i started thinking about polishing the wrap a round ant top cowl to a mirror finish and just painting the rest black. It has came with a brass prop so once i have it recupped and repitched ill polish it too. Any thoughts on a mirror finished motor?

Attachments

• 20160614_181628.jpg
    20160614_181628.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160614_181633.jpg
    20160614_181633.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20160529_124616.jpg
    20160529_124616.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
Mounted the motor by myself today. Was very heavy, i dropped the lower unit and cowl before attempting to lifting, reduced the weight just enough

Attachments

• 20160616_205846.jpg
    20160616_205846.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 19
Back