• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

checkmate exciter motor height/jackplate setback

merc85

Am putting a jackplate, drilled mid, hydraulic steering, and a cle gearcase on my exciter soon. Any ball park ideas on motor setback and height. I will be using a cle so i can jack fairly high. Will be starting out with a 24 pitch chopper II, so i need a fairly high engine height. I was thinking about a 3" setback just mainly for the adjustability factor. But i have concerns over the hydraulic steering not allowing for much trim for trailering. Anyone use the sea star pro and if so does it cause much issue trailer trim. I think i remember running my 84 enchanter about an inch below the pad. It has been too long. It also had a cle 5-1/2 setback and a 2.4 200. Guess i could try it an inch or so below and go up or down from there. Thanks

Hey merc.
I have an 88 exciter with a merc 200. I have the sea star steering and the motor mounted 1 bolt hole higher then normal I guess. No set back. I’m able to fully tilt up. Just the cables will get a little tight in the turn.
I always wanted to add a jack plate and a cle so I’ll be courious to see your numbers once you have it dieled in.

If you are looking for speed, All these old pad bottom Checkmate’s love setback and the motor out of the water. So 10-16” of total setback and getting the propshaft centreline up even with the bottom of the pad or even an inch higher is best.

If you use the boat for water sports as well, then having a jackplate so you can lower and raise the motor lets you do both types of boating very well and some would recommend you cut back on the total setback a little to 10 or 12”.

Many here run a 10” setback bracket and a 4-6” jackplate. Yes, the Seastar will clear but you need long enough hoses for all that setback.

Is the transom in good condition, do you have solid motor mounts, both are important for speed runs.

8” setback works great on mine, I’d go more tho if I could, love the hydrolic plate for the versatility.

Attachments

• ECA9E61B-C366-4159-B7AF-BCBDF91FFF68.jpg
    ECA9E61B-C366-4159-B7AF-BCBDF91FFF68.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
Yea, thanks for the info. I am not looking for ultimate top speed, but would like to see 75 to 80 out of it. I knew the answer was a lot of setback, but am trying to make it easier on the transom. The floor and transom was redone recently by a reputable fiberglass shop, so its solid. I am building a mid section with the bucket pulled and solid mounts, using sea star pro steering. My thought now is to buy a 4" jack plate, try it, and i can always bolt another 4" to it later on if necessary. My 84 enchanter with a 200 2.4, ran 75mph "speedo speed", so i think this one with the same power should be as good. And that one was stock, no reeds, or mods at all, with a cle and 24 pitch small blade chopper. once i get all this done, all i will need is a craig cassette player, some hair, and i will be back in the 80's again!

Back