• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New member in Lakeland

BoatsandTaxes

No checkmate yet, but I am considering a 2100BR to use here in the Winter Haven chain of lakes and also Tampa Bay. Anyone own one anyone near here so I could see one in person?

Also I don't see many newer ones around, any idea how many a year they build of that model?

Thanks for any info!
Mike

I don’t have a br but I run my 2100 pulsare all over Tampa bay.

How does the boat do in the bay? Any issues ? All of my boating had been in the bay and the gulf but I used to own a large Fountain and was not sure how the 2100br would do. Seems most of the posts I see about them seem to talk about lake and river boating. I saw your post about trim tabs helping in the rough.

It does pretty well for a light weight lake boat. I honestly wasn’t real pleased with it at first but the trim tabs made it a keeper. Tampa bay is more often than not a rough washing machine and without the tabs when I slowed down enough to make it comfortable, the bow would ride high and bounce up and down constantly. It was even worse with 4 adults in the boat and just not enjoyable. With the tabs I can drop the bow into the chop and cross the bay on a rough day at 25mph very comfortably.
I live on the manatee river and we have run the boat from here to Gulfport several times, ran it to way up the bay to downtown Tampa, down south to cabbage key (ran outside down the coast 80 miles)and spent a few nights and of course to egmont many times.
We have owned this boat for about a year now and have really enjoyed it. I have a 25ft skiff that I fish/dive out of and the checkmate is a nice contrast to it.

It does pretty well for a light weight lake boat. I honestly wasn’t real pleased with it at first but the trim tabs made it a keeper. Tampa bay is more often than not a rough washing machine and without the tabs when I slowed down enough to make it comfortable, the bow would ride high and bounce up and down constantly. It was even worse with 4 adults in the boat and just not enjoyable. With the tabs I can drop the bow into the chop and cross the bay on a rough day at 25mph very comfortably.
I live on the manatee river and we have run the boat from here to Gulfport several times, ran it to way up the bay to downtown Tampa, down south to cabbage key (ran outside down the coast 80 miles)and spent a few nights and of course to egmont many times.
We have owned this boat for about a year now and have really enjoyed it. I have a 25ft skiff that I fish/dive out of and the checkmate is a nice contrast to it.

I guess I will plan on adding trim tabs to the boat. Sounds like you are getting some good use out of it. Once I end up getting the boat we will have to meet up on the bay.

Absolutely.
When I was shopping for our boat they were few and far between. The 2 choices I had at the time was a BR in South Carolina with a 225 optic or a closed deck with a 250XS in New Jersey. The more powerful engine appealed to me and I decided also that I didn’t want to look at the back of someone’s head all the time. The drawback is more difficult docking and anchoring on the closed deck but I have come up with solutions .
I use a stick it anchor pin 95% of the time and avoid dealing with an anchor or climbing on the slippery bow.

Absolutely.
When I was shopping for our boat they were few and far between. The 2 choices I had at the time was a BR in South Carolina with a 225 optic or a closed deck with a 250XS in New Jersey. The more powerful engine appealed to me and I decided also that I didn’t want to look at the back of someone’s head all the time. The drawback is more difficult docking and anchoring on the closed deck but I have come up with solutions .
I use a stick it anchor pin 95% of the time and avoid dealing with an anchor or climbing on the slippery bow.

I will always take more power so good choice on the xs boat. My last boat had triple merc 525efi. I am thinking a 300 will do me just good on next boat. How fast does your boat run with the 250XS? I am hoping to get at least 80 out of the bowrider. Have kids so I want more seating for kid days. When no kids days I would probably run a cover over the front.

Absolutely.

Hey there Chillinthemost and BoatsandTaxes, did you guys ever get together in or around the Tampa Bay area? I'm about to buy another Checkmate after 12 years and I'm ready to find some other Checkmates or other like-minded boats to hang with. The boat I am buying is an Entertainer so about the same size as your boats :) I use to own a Starliner up in Pennsylvania but sold back in 2007.

I don’t know if the other guy ever bought a boat or not. I haven’t been out in about a month now, been very busy on a remodel and it’s been raining when I do have time.
When things are normal we go out at least once a week. A lot of times we go on a weekday and many times for a afternoon/evening dinner run. It’s just too crowded and crazy on the weekends anymore for me to enjoy it. A perfect trip for me is to run to egmont at about 5:00 on a Sunday after most of the hundreds of boats have left. Chill for a few hours and watch the sun set and then stop somewhere for dinner and get back home around 10.

I don’t know if the other guy ever bought a boat or not. I haven’t been out in about a month now, been very busy on a remodel and it’s been raining when I do have time.
When things are normal we go out at least once a week. A lot of times we go on a weekday and many times for a afternoon/evening dinner run. It’s just too crowded and crazy on the weekends anymore for me to enjoy it. A perfect trip for me is to run to egmont at about 5:00 on a Sunday after most of the hundreds of boats have left. Chill for a few hours and watch the sun set and then stop somewhere for dinner and get back home around 10.

I know the feeling about crowded waters, but the few times I've been out in a friends boat on a holiday weekend up here, in the inner coastal and out at the many key islands near Honeymoon Island, it's been tolerable as long as we go out/back in early or later than all the crazies. It seems getting to the boat ramp at the right time is critical or it's a madhouse. Still, there's a lot of room for all these boaters here in the Tampa Bay area, not like the rivers and upper bay areas up North I'm used to. If I grab this boat next week I'll let you know and maybe meet up with you down that way. I want to check out the Southern Pinellas/Ft Desota area in a boat sometime.

Chillinthemost - The Entertainer and Vision I was looking at both fell through. I'm about to buy a 2008 Pulsare 2000 BR. Not exactly the same as your 2100 but close, wondering what the difference really is in length/width, but noticed you added trim tabs. Which ones did you add? I will need them and wanted to see what you have or recommend. Any pics of the install you can share? Thanks,
Mooneys

They are electric and yes the 9x12 size works well. I got the fancy indicator controller and they were a little under $700 and worth every penny.

Well, what a nightmare LOL. My ladder on one side kept me from mounting the trim tabs where I'd like to mount them :-( I had to mount them closer to the engine than I would have liked, so I hope they still have some positive effect on the Bay and inner coastals. I hope I didn't just drill 24 holes in my hull for no reason.

We will see next weekend how these help even if not placed in the optimum location.

Hello Florida Chekmate owners :) I wanted to report an awesome day on the Gulf around Tarpon Springs and Anclote Key. A great day out and maiden voyage of my new to me Pulsare 2000. Adding Trim Tabs that @Chillinthemost recommended made running the choppy water a breeze on Sunday. I have some water flow issues I believe related to where they are mounted, but still it helped a lot in any case. Looking forward to getting out there again soon and possibly seeing more Checkmates one day.

https://imgur.com/KpuvcK7

Reactions: SCT
Hey there Chillinthemost and BoatsandTaxes, did you guys ever get together in or around the Tampa Bay area? I'm about to buy another Checkmate after 12 years and I'm ready to find some other Checkmates or other like-minded boats to hang with. The boat I am buying is an Entertainer so about the same size as your boats :) I use to own a Starliner up in Pennsylvania but sold back in 2007.

Never bought the boat last year since the kids and the wife wanted a pool more than the boat so we ended up building a pool. Which now with the corona virus and the kids home all day I am sure glad that we did build the pool.
But don't worry the boat is still on the radar. I told them next big purchase is the boat. In fact right now I have been talking with with the new owners of Checkmate at Caldwell about building a new boat. They are going to start building them this fall with some updates. Best of all no more wood in the hull, will be replaced with high density foam core. Looking at either a 2100BR with a 300R or a 2400BRX with either a 400R or possibly a 450R. :banana:

Back