• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1958 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
1958 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman.

This is my Grandfather's old motor.

My Grandfather turned it over to me as a kid and then it went to my uncle.

It seized one day back in the 80's and then literally sat for years and years, outback my uncle's old shed. It was bolted to a board which was strung between a couple of trees.

After my Grandfather died last year, I took the motor apart and got it going. These pics were taken on the day I put it back in the water for a little trip down memory lane. :)

rude1.jpg

Here is a pic of it sitting on a transom for the first time in twenty or so years...

rude4.jpg

Here is it running for the first time in a LONG time.

It started on the second pull. :)

rude3.jpg

I just happened on this post after looking at the 1960 5.5 Evinrude one. Your " Sea Flea" as memory serves is indeed the same boat as my " MiniMax". Basically two 4' X 8 ' sheets of plyood cut and sandwiched over a bulkhead and tied to the transom. A very simple little design but after you glassed the seams ( If you did it right) it created to airtight chambers and a virtually unsinkable boat. It was a cool little boat.

I first had the 1960 5.5 hp Evinrude on it and then built a Merc KE7 out of parts for it which quickly evolved into a KH7 and then a Mark 20H. It was almost too much for that rig. Then I built a " MiniMost" More of a " dry-ride" and a real V- bottom.

But my " Sea-Flea/ Minimost" was my first " High-Performance" Boat. At least that's where the bug bit me. And it's been under my skin ever since.

See....www.hydrostream.org/guest.htm

Great article on Minimax/Minimost/ Seaflea

Back