• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1985 Diplomat rear seats

Pistol219

Help from anyone would be awesome, I have 1985 Diplomat ouboard
So I just got my rear seats and panels back from upholstery , not knowing I could get templets and interior direct from checkmate. And needless to say nit happy with results as they did **** job. But also, I had been away for a year and just now seeing them and cant remember what old ones looked like and exactly how they fit. I am looking for anyone with similar model and year that can send photos of how the bottom seat and back rest seat were. Also how they laid in the fuel tank. Are they bolted down or does the bottom seat rest on the tank? I also see they didn’t put the ledge where I believe the back rests on the bottom rail so it doesn’t push back? I also am looking for photos of how area looks below the seat on gas tank since my buddy took the seats off to drop off at upholstery over year ago and he cannot remember what it was like when taken off. I am just at a dead end. And I’m curious if Checkmate has this info.

Anyone with photos or info can send to my email
peteshelby21@gmail.com

Thanks

I had a 1982 Eluder so not quite the same, but Checkmate did very similar things to all the smaller hulls back then.

With the fuel tank mounted cross ways in the hull, on top of the floor and under the rear bench. The bench had three pieces of plywood, a top and two sides. The sides were the front and back of the seat base and supported the top so the top did not sit directly on the fuel tank. The base was held to the floor with some angle brackets. And yes there was a small board at the back edge of the seat base to support the seat backrest from pushing in.

Sorry I don’t have pictures of it apart

So the angle brackets held the bottom seat down? And when you say three pieces , the 2 pieces were on the sides if bottom seat or horizontal?

So the angle brackets held the bottom seat down? And when you say three pieces , the 2 pieces were on the sides if bottom seat or horizontal?

One side piece went in front of the tank and had the interior vinyl on the front of it, this was held upright in place by two angle brackets screwed through the carpet to the floor and through the vinyl to the plywood. The other side piece was just behind the tank (faced the transom) and also was held in place to the floor with a couple of angle brackets. The seat base sat on top of these two sides and was screwed to them with a board re-enforcing the inside corners.

Ya I have the horizontal running board piece that was redone and that goes in front of the tank screwed into the right and left angle mounts as you said. But not positive what you mean about the back having brackets. All that is behind my tank is the battery and all open space and tank is screwed/bolted down with 2 bolts/screws on each side.

I believe what you are saying about bench seat is that there are two horizontal pieces on underside on on front towards the running board and other on rear towards the transom and that is what is laid on the fuel tank? If so would you say that they are about 1x1 and over length of the bench or different?

And then are you saying there is something on the tank (bracket) or something the bench bolts into? Thanks for your help, I am just trying to get correct images in my head since I never saw my original cushion or running board be removed to see if there was anything holding it down. I only knew how the back rest went.

The horizontal running board piece has a matching twin behind the tank, angle mounted to the floor. The bench sits on them, not the tank.

The 1x1 pieces support the corners where the three big pieces are connected.

Ok , so I must have been missing the twin piece that goes behind the fuel tank. And are the angle mounts the same as the front running board angle mounts? And so basically the 2 front and rear running board are intended for bench to sit on them hovering just above fuel tank so seat will not sit directing on tank I assume? Also, does this mean the bench does not bolt down to anything ( Just sits unbolted or unsecured)?

Also you said the 1x1 support the 3 bigger pieces. Are you referring to on the bench seat? On the underneath part? I have pictures of the new rear seats the upholstery guy did and Ik something isn’t right.

Thanks for all the help. I just figured I would at least get this rear seating issue resolved since I paid him already and he needs to fix it but I need to know what exactly to sho or tell him. And after this I am just going through Checkmate to do the buckets and front seats.

answers in red
Ok , so I must have been missing the twin piece that goes behind the fuel tank. And are the angle mounts the same as the front running board angle mounts? yes And so basically the 2 front and rear running board are intended for bench to sit on them hovering just above fuel tank so seat will not sit directing on tank I assume? yesAlso, does this mean the bench does not bolt down to anything ( Just sits unbolted or unsecured)?No, screw it to the running boards it is sitting on, use the 1x1 boards to re-enforce the joint area.

answers in red

Thanks, I think I get the just of what you are saying. I just don’t see how I would bolt to the front running board. And still not sure where the 1x1 pieces attach too. Unless the running boards have a 1x1 as well as the seat cushion underneath as well.

hey guys not sure if any of this is still a question but i just bought an 86 diplomat and i can send you pictures of how mine is attached if still needed

Back