• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1993 Starflite To Restore

Droozki

Hey Folks! I'm a total newbie here in the 'world of Checkmate boats'. :) I restored a fibreglass runabout a few years ago. New stringers, floor and transom. New gel-coat on the hull and totally rebuilt interior.

I had some professional help with the serious stuff :thumb: and handled the easier areas myself. Based on the value of the boat it was too much money to spend on this boat, but I was emotionally invested and it ended up totally worth it to me. :cheers: I eventually sold it, and now I'm interested in another project.

I have an opportunity to grab a 1993 Starflite for a very reasonable price (nearly nothin'). It needs restoration, but I don't know how extensive this one will be. When I go for a look at this rig, where should I look and what should I look for? Are there particular areas of weakness? Are there things that will be a no-brainer to repair?

I haven't got any info yet on the known history of the boat, but I'll try to.

I know... not much to go on.

Can you offer any advice? Anyone repaired a this model? :confused:

Thanks!

I used to own a Starflite and did a mild resto on it, but luckily mine didn't need any stringer or floor repair, strictly cosmetics. I know The floors will start to rot around the seat bases, and if you feel that, might as well count on stringers as well. Also there might be a bunch of foam up in the very front behind the bulkhead. Plan on ripping all that out as it just holds water.

I know a member in here, JTPatroni I think, did a complete restoration of his Flite. Maybe try to dig up his restoration thread or he might post in here.

JT here. You can go over my restore at the URL in my signature. Look it over. If you have any questions just send a PM through this forum.

Great, I love a nice Starflite. Have you taken some pics? Any plans?

Well, I don't have any really descent pics. Just a few of it the day I picked it up. :sssh:

As far as plans go, just a fairly vague and general ideas around a basic restoration with a few upgrades in power and rigging. Nothing too radical at this point. :thumb:

Right now it's sitting at the shop waiting to have the basic structure evaluated before tearing it apart and getting into it next year. For now I'm preparing myself and saving some $$ in order to get at it!! :rof:

@Droozki Do you mind posting an update on this? I have an 87 Starflite that has soft floors and I'm looking to get them fixed. Curious how yours came out and what I can expect. Did you do the work yourself or have a professional do it? I don't have anywhere to work on mine so probably stuck having a pro do it, but not sure what that'll run me.

Back