• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2400 Pulsare Seat Issue with Fix

Pulsar74

So last Thursday I take the boat out with the wife. Figured it be fairly smooth being evening. Nope. Tide was coming in, lots of rollers, add big boat wakes out here on the bay/river mouth and you have a recipe for 2-3’ slop. Boat handled it fairly well, until I hit a monster and caught some air. Came down, looked over and my wife is laying on the floor still in the seat. Bummer.

So, being the carpenter I am, I had to see what the issue was, floor rot? Etc. came to the conclusion that whoever put the seats in made a flaw. They put the seats over the carpet. To me, that’s a no no. Carpet gets wet, wicks under seat bracket, wicks into screw holes and bam, soften up the screw holes.

Now the fix, I grabbed some 1/2” 6160 Aluminum, cut down to 10x12, routed the edges, drilled and tapped holes to mount seat pedestal to, drilled and countersunk holes for new stainless hardware to mount to floor. Prepped the floor by epoxying the old holes, then glasses over the whole area with a sheet of 1 1/2 oz mat. Let dry, sanded flat, brought new bracket over for test fit, no rocking, siliconed the base to the floor, screwed bracket to floor using gorilla glue clear on screws for extra bite to floor. And walla, secure as it can be. Not sure how else it could fail. But I will say, never mount pedestals over carpet. Take the time to make sure there is no way for those screws to get wet.

Now I just need to order some new carpet, do the drivers side to match and back on the water. Hope this helps anyone who is experiencing same sort of issue.

Let me know how to post pics and I’d be happy to show the bracket. Thanks

same issue on 2100 Pulsare only drivers seat, I did put blind studs with marine tex in and that has held for 2 years, but base starting to wobble again. I am assuming you carpeted over the AL plate once secured to the deck?

No, just finished plate to match the pedestal base. I don’t want any chance of carpet transferring water to base. Carpet is cut around base.

How come when this happens to me in a boat, the whole 1 foot section around the seat base is compromised? This is a little off topic but I remember getting onto the SR 512 on ramp from Pacific avenue on a Friday night. Vehicle was a beautiful 72 Monte Carlo, running a (if I remember correctly) Rodek copy of a small block Chev. Probably made 900 hp on alcohol, alot less on nav gas. Believe it or not, we were running 273 gears in it and would normally get an easy 60 mph out of it before selecting second gear and launching a full car length ahead. Well just as I select second with a click of the wrist, I'm suddenly looking at the head liner. We're pretty much now in the back seat, which had pretty much been my plan for the later portion of the evening, but certainly not at this portion of the evening. Of course, when the seat pulled loose, it caused me to tug slightly to the left on the steering wheel. So when I crawled up enough to get a view out over that great long hood, the concrete jersey barrier was approaching at probably 70 mph. Managed to leave none of the car on the barrier somehow. Did expend my full repetoire of swear words and was extremely grateful to have used bathroom facilities prior to the incident. Probably put the equivalent of 50000 miles on a nice set of Michelins in less than 10 seconds. Fishtailed clean off the road on the opposite side but finished strongly and was actually hard on the throttle when we got back up out of the grass and onto the road. Had gained a good 20 mph. Took all three lanes to do it. Wish we had that on gopro. Everyone else thought it was a great piece of driving and sometimes even now bring it up. I knew better but shamelessly kept the truth to myself for some time. Looked like the seat bolts had been stripped out where they went into this stamped welded fitting in the floor pan. Good times...

Back