• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Blackhawk vs Bravo 1

Anyone out there have any experience with Blackhawk drives? I am acquiring a vision 22' with 350 mag that I would like to build up to around 400 hp. I have heard that the blackhawk helps drop the nose, out of the hole and adds top speed. Is there any truth to this? Thanks all!! CHECKMATE RULES!@!

Anyone out there have any experience with Blackhawk drives? I am acquiring a vision 22' with 350 mag that I would like to build up to around 400 hp. I have heard that the blackhawk helps drop the nose, out of the hole and adds top speed. Is there any truth to this? Thanks all!! CHECKMATE RULES!@!

Personal opinion, with the Blackhawk drive, you'd be asking for a lot of trouble. This drive was only built for a couple years (mid to early 90's). It's a surface piercing drive, the boat almost had to be "built" so to speak around the boat. Finding people to work on these, parts, especially in stock parts.. harder to come by. A stock Bravo will handle up to 475..plus will take care of you on the resale end. It's pretty tough to sell a boat with the Blackhawks, not very many people want them. if you want something stronger, look the Imco or the Mercruiser XR. For what your doing, stay with the Bravo I, you'll be fine. Rick

www.Bayviewmarinecenter.com

I have a buddy with a 15+ year old 19 ft checkmate. He got it on a wednesday last august and ran it in a local shootout that weekend. In the 4 days he pulled the motor and drive and slipped on his blackhawk and mill. 107 on the gun! Yikes. Downside- parts avail.(including props), handling (terrible around the docks) and down time. Discontinued and not many people have messed with them

Back