• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Burt Lake: running the rivers

Diplomat82

Had a family vacation back in August and rented a cabin on Burt Lake in Indian River.
What a blast!
Took the Diplomat and although we were knocked around a little on the big lake, the rivers were so much fun! Can hardly wait to take the Persuader back up there.

Not the best videos, but you get the idea.

th_IMG_1258.jpg

th_IMG_1257_1.jpg

th_IMG_1256.jpg

Did you see how those guys treat the 'no wake zone' in the above vid? I approve. How about the contact at 6 minutes in or so? Looked like he got passed by a Merc out in the open water, I'm just sayin. Take them shoes off and get down lower in the vessel, has to be worth a MPH or two. He was mighty close to some of the passing scenery at several points. Pretty good stuff first thing in the morning.

Ive been wanting to do this trip. Its definately happening this year. Just 3 hrs north of us.

I told the wife we are doing this trip again also! Especially now with the new 'mate.

My buddy goes every year and stays at a river side motel in Cheboygan. Then it is a quick ride through the lock and to Mackinac Island.

Might give that a try, on a calm day.

We want to run Indian river and out to Mackinaw island. I hear its tough to find a slip over there. I have took a ferry boat out of Cheboygan and hauler our truck over to Boise Blanc island. Staying on the river and cruising over to Mack island for lunch would be cool to.

We do that trip each summer, its amazing. This past summer we stayed on Mackinac island in the marina. $40 to stay on Mackinac island! Cant beat the sunset and views. 1000 foot freighters going by in the dark is the coolest thing to see. Its a blast to run up the river and all the way out to the bridge from Indian River.

photo.php

my family lake house is in Gaylord so was planning on doing a day trip up to the rivers.

How deep is the water, my boat is very stern heavy to where I don't even put it in Otsego lake.

my family lake house is in Gaylord so was planning on doing a day trip up to the rivers.

How deep is the water, my boat is very stern heavy to where I don't even put it in Otsego lake.

I saw some pretty big boats use these rivers. You might want to grab a Fishing Hot Spots map of the area. It has all the depths of the rivers.

Check out this site and watch the videos. You can see some bigger boats using the waterways and also get a feel for how awesome this area is.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/inlandwater/

Back